The Student Room Group

Retainer wont fit anymore- can i make it fit

So i havent worn my retainer in a few years, and they do go on my teeth- just not alllll the way in. is it bad to wear them halfway in then everyday or so push them further in? will my teeth get worse?
also had 2 teeth removed due to overcrowding (caused the crooked teeth) and my teeth havemnt moved ina year or two(since moving a bit after braces removed). Does this help at all? can they keep moving? ALSO can i soak the retainers in warm/hot water to fit them oN?
(edited 5 years ago)
Unfortunately I don’t think that will work! You’ll just be forcing the shape of the retainer rather than re-aligning your teeth. Go to the dentist and get a new one made for your teeth shape now, that way you will prevent them from moving any more than they already have.
Won't work. You should have worn your retainers as originally instructed.
You teeth are moving to their original position that they were in before treatment i.e. Relapsing treatment.
No matter how hard you try, your retainer won't fit.
You need to see your dentist ASAP and go from there.
Reply 3
Original post by denteddental
Won't work. You should have worn your retainers as originally instructed.
You teeth are moving to their original position that they were in before treatment i.e. Relapsing treatment.
No matter how hard you try, your retainer won't fit.
You need to see your dentist ASAP and go from there.

ahhhhhhhh idk but i had teeth removed before because of the overcrowding, so they have moved a bit but havent moved back to their original positions (because the teeth are gone),, do you think they might just stop moving further now?
No, you need to go back to the Dentist.
Original post by spearmint67
ahhhhhhhh idk but i had teeth removed before because of the overcrowding, so they have moved a bit but havent moved back to their original positions (because the teeth are gone),, do you think they might just stop moving further now?

So you have teeth extracted thereby creating space for further treatment to align your teeth because I'm assuming they were misaligned due to their crowding. Your teeth are moving all the time more so, if you're had orthodontic treatment in the past. If you don't wear your retainers, your teeth will move back to their original, pre-treatment position. Unfortunately, they won't ever stop moving unless you wear your retainer like you were instructed to.a

You need to see your dentist who might refer you to the orthodontist depending on how old you are and how much treatment relapse you've had.
Original post by denteddental
So you have teeth extracted thereby creating space for further treatment to align your teeth because I'm assuming they were misaligned due to their crowding. Your teeth are moving all the time more so, if you're had orthodontic treatment in the past. If you don't wear your retainers, your teeth will move back to their original, pre-treatment position. Unfortunately, they won't ever stop moving unless you wear your retainer like you were instructed to.a

You need to see your dentist who might refer you to the orthodontist depending on how old you are and how much treatment relapse you've had.

So how come my teeth haven't moved back even though I haven't worn my retainer for about 5 years?
Original post by black tea
So how come my teeth haven't moved back even though I haven't worn my retainer for about 5 years?

Depends on your age and when you had your treatment done. It also depends on how much your teeth were corrected. You may feel as if your teeth haven't moved but I can't say that without study models.
Original post by Georgina141
Unfortunately I don’t think that will work! You’ll just be forcing the shape of the retainer rather than re-aligning your teeth. Go to the dentist and get a new one made for your teeth shape now, that way you will prevent them from moving any more than they already have.

What should i do if my dentist won't give me a new retainer even though my teeth have changed drastically...

It kinda fits but just hurts a lot

Quick Reply

Latest