The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

A few questions

Hi everyone, it’s now clearing so I’m in a hurry to look at universities. I have a few questions about John Moores University and it’d be great if anyone could help.

I’m from a town, so not very accustomed to city life. What is Liverpool like as a city?
What is it like studying at a ‘city uni’ rather than a ‘campus uni’?
What is Liverpool John Moores University like as a whole?
If anyone is on the Drama BA, what is the course like and would you recommend it?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by hellogiggles
Hi everyone, it’s now clearing so I’m in a hurry to look at universities. I have a few questions about John Moores University and it’d be great if anyone could help.

I’m from a town, so not very accustomed to city life. What is Liverpool like as a city?
If anyone is on the Drama BA, what is the course like and would you recommend it?

Thanks!

Hi there,

Liverpool is a brilliant city! I have a few friends from tiny towns/villages and theyve all fit in fine. At first theyve all said it was a bit of a shock but they all prefer it to their home towns now so im sure youll love it too!
It doesnt really make a difference studying at a city or campus uni.
Ljmu is brilliant! I love it, and so do all of my friends who go there too (and it isnt a short list) its really relaxed, everyone is really nice, its judt a good atmosphere although. Ljmu is the most social uni in liverpool too but that being said, there loads of people who arent into the whole pres and social thing if youre not either.
Im not on drama, but i have three friends who studied drama and they all loved it. Two of them are working in that industry now after graduating :smile:

I hope ive helped and if you need a hand with anything else, just let me know!
Id recommend ljmu though :wink:
Liverpool
I studied accounting at LJMU. I have to say living in the city while at uni is the best experience you'll have. Unlike a campus based university there's so much to do. Nightlife is great, but if you're like me and not a huge drinker then there are lots of other things to do, with LJMU having different societies to join.

In terms of Drama I don't know much, but on my course I was offered lots of support, especially aroundy career options after graduating.

Thanks!

Hey!

I'm from a town myself and have recently graduated from LJMU so hopefully I can help answer your questions 😊

Firstly, Liverpool as a city ... Well Liverpool is a fantastic city with lots on offer no matter what your interests are. It's massively music orientated here so lots of festivals and gigs. Liverpool is also respected for its focus on independent businesses. Unlike in other cities, you'll find so many independent shops and restaurants and bars with quirky, different things to offer and cool interiors. Check out the Baltic Triangle to see what I'm on about! The city is small so it's easy to get anywhere and you'll save money on taxis and buses. There's also lots of parks (lookup Sefton and Lark Lane) if you get a bit fed up of the city and fancy a break for the day!

I haven't attended a campus uni but I personally believe there is more on offer and you meet more people other than just students. But Liverpool still offers social spaces exclusive to students so really it's the best of both worlds.

LJMU as a whole is a very supportive and nurturing uni but at the same time allows you to grow independently. One to one support is always available from tutors, accommodation is of a high standard and there is financial and social support and loaaaaads of societies!

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck with your searches! 😊

Alice
(Official LJMU rep)
@Liverpool John Moores

Thanks everyone for your advice. Also Alice, do you have any tips for someone who may be moving far away from home?

Thanks!

Hiya! Drama graduate here. It has been a few weeks since you posted but i thought I'd answer. The course is wonderful and will do everything possible to make settling in easy. The course is so tightly knit- you will know every student in yhe three years and have very established and meaningful relationships with your lecturers, who know exactly how you are feeling and how to help! Best advice is to turn up, try hard and take all the opportunities you can get, if you are struggling then tell ypur personal tutor- they want to help and believe me, will not be shocked by your issues. Also, i came from a small town to Lpool. It is an AMAZING city with a very contained city centre. I have always called it a great starter city haha! The numerous socials the drama lot have will help you get hands on with the city super fast. You will grow familiar with the city in days & shops shutting at 5pm will be a distant memory :wink:. Best of luck! give me a message if you have any questions xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending