The Student Room Group

Work Experience

Hi! I'm a year 10 student looking for work experience to do during the sumner. Unfortunately, our school doesn't provide us with advice or information regarding work experience so I've decided to look into interesting placements myself. Since this is my first time doing careers related things myself, I need some guidance:
Do colleges reuqire certain amounts of work experince or placements in certain fields depending on the A-Levels? ( I'm thinking to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths.)
Do the placements require interviews or information about predicted grades?
Could someone just generally describe the daily experience during the placements? I'm clueless about all this.

Sorry if any of these questions sound stupid, I've never received any advice about this so I'm hoping one of you guys can help me! Thank you so much!
Your work experience is associated with the career you want to follow. For example If you want to be a pharmacist then contact a local pharmacy and ask for a period of work experience shadowing a member of staff.

Some companies will not take you until 16 so year 11. Others won't take you unless its part of your schools official work placement week and they will need a letter from the school confirming this.

Colleges generally don't need work experience to study with them but check their website to confirm this. Universities usually do need course related work experience to show you have a genuine interest in the course you are applying for.

Work experience is usually just shadowing a member of staff or 2 over a period of time. You might be given simple tasks to do unless its a confidential environment in which case its just viewing the job from afar without actually getting involved. Sometimes you may be given tasks that you feel are not involved or expected in your chosen career but the fact that those tasks are done within the company obviously shows they absolutely are part of that career.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MadamePompadour
Your work experience is associated with the career you want to follow. For example If you want to be a pharmacist then contact a local pharmacy and ask for a period of work experience shadowing a member of staff.

Some companies will not take you until 16 so year 11. Others won't take you unless its part of your schools official work placement week and they will need a letter from the school confirming this.

Colleges generally don't need work experience to study with them but check their website to confirm this. Universities usually do need course related work experience to show you have a genuine interest in the course you are applying for.

Work experience is usually just shadowing a member of staff or 2 over a period of time. You might be given simple tasks to do unless its a confidential environment in which case its just viewing the job from afar without actually getting involved. Sometimes you may be given tasks that you feel are not involved or expected in your chosen career but the fact that those tasks are done within the company obviously shows they absolutely are part of that career.
Thanks! This was really helpful I'll try all of this. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending