The Student Room Group

Is film study crucial to take for A-Level?

I want to have a career in the film industry and my school doesn't offer film study for A-Level. I can do a consortium and do film study at a different school but it would be difficult. Is taking it as an A-Level crucial, or should I just go to a film school later on?
Reply 1
Any route you take into the film industry will recognise that not all schools offer media-related qualifications, so the chances of any university or company setting it as a requirement are slim.
As someone whose just finished A Level Film Studies I can honestly say you won't be missing much. Besides, film degrees sometimes prefer to see a portfolio of some sort.
Reply 3
Original post by xEmilyxx
As someone whose just finished A Level Film Studies I can honestly say you won't be missing much. Besides, film degrees sometimes prefer to see a portfolio of some sort.

Can I ask if it was hard or if it gave you some experience? Because it's either film or media studies...
Original post by lokidokie
Can I ask if it was hard or if it gave you some experience? Because it's either film or media studies...

It wasn't really hard. It's quite simple to get a B grade so long as you get everything done. To get an A it's a bit harder but quite do-able.

It gave me next to no experience of the film industry. The whole syllabus is based around the student watching a film and then studying the social and cultural backgrounds behind said film. You don't learn anything about the process of creating films which is something I was really into and was disappointed that there was nothing about it. The closest to it is through the coursework, but even then you just create a short film or mood board using your phone camera.

If you're into the practical aspects I would advise against it. It's like doing English Literature but instead of books your doing it on films. It creates an appreciation of why films do what they do, but beyond that there's nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest