The Student Room Group

Summer before A-Levels

Hey, I've just finished my GCSE'S and I've spent a good few weeks just relaxing. But does anyone have any tips on how to get started on revision/be prepared for A Levels? Thanks!
First off, don't work yourself too hard! Enjoy the summer between year 11 and 12 because the one between 12 and 13 is going to be nowhere near as relaxing.

One thing you can do to prepare is if you know your subjects and exam boards then look up their specifications to see what you'll cover over the course. If you want to, you can get copies of the revision guides or textbooks and skin through them. Personally I just used copies from my college library and didn't actually buy them myself which I'd recommend but each to their own.

Make sure you've got everything you need ready too! Pens, pencils, ruler, highlighters, calculator (if applicable), a big folder for each subject and a way of taking notes whether this be one A4 pad for all of subjects or one each or a laptop, etc. Being organised from the start is the best option!

To be honest unless your sixth form gives you summer work, there's not too much you can do to prepare so just enjoy yourself! If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Reply 2
Original post by yeahthatonethere
First off, don't work yourself too hard! Enjoy the summer between year 11 and 12 because the one between 12 and 13 is going to be nowhere near as relaxing.

One thing you can do to prepare is if you know your subjects and exam boards then look up their specifications to see what you'll cover over the course. If you want to, you can get copies of the revision guides or textbooks and skin through them. Personally I just used copies from my college library and didn't actually buy them myself which I'd recommend but each to their own.

Make sure you've got everything you need ready too! Pens, pencils, ruler, highlighters, calculator (if applicable), a big folder for each subject and a way of taking notes whether this be one A4 pad for all of subjects or one each or a laptop, etc. Being organised from the start is the best option!

To be honest unless your sixth form gives you summer work, there's not too much you can do to prepare so just enjoy yourself! If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks! That's more or less what I've been planning to do, along with the summer work I've been given
Hi.What subjects are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Hi.What subjects are you doing?

Hey, I'm doing physics, biology, chemistry and maths
Original post by NazRaf
Hey, I've just finished my GCSE'S and I've spent a good few weeks just relaxing. But does anyone have any tips on how to get started on revision/be prepared for A Levels? Thanks!

When your A levels start. Make sure you burn the content into your head as you go. Don't wait for it to build up. Its way easier to take the steps than to revise in chunks.
Its easier to revise and memorise something you learnt for the first time, so for the second time you need to remember the content you have revision notes ready and you basically cemented it in your knowledge the first time round so all thats left is a refresher.

If you don't understand something, don't move on. (After completing my A Levels, there's stuff i STILL don't fully understand but luckily it did not come in the exam)

Even if its time consuming and may take everyday, its worth it if you want top grades
Original post by NazRaf
Hey, I'm doing physics, biology, chemistry and maths

Know what revision resources there are online for your subject,so you won't be wasting half the year looking for revision resources online.Chemistry-machemguy,allery tutors.Maths-examsolutions, Jack Brown. Biology-I just google notes.

Make sure you have the right calculator for maths.Make sure you understand the GCSE maths content well-as the beginning parts of A-level pure maths builds up on GCSE knowledge.

Start A-levels with the right mindset and don't have high expectations and know that it will be hard.By right mindset,I mean do not be too relaxed in the beginning but work from the beginning but don't burn out.

Get folders and lots of paper.

Relax,you won't be doing much relaxation in the summer of year 12,so enjoy the freedom whilst you have it.Maybe start a summer bucket list?
Enjoy, relax this summer cos the next summer(s) will feel tense. But if you want to go to university and have an idea of what field you want to go in, I think it's better to do work experience, volunteering and maybe a job. That would give you a good headstart for your personal statement in your UCAS application.
Reply 8
Original post by Satori Tendō
When your A levels start. Make sure you burn the content into your head as you go. Don't wait for it to build up. Its way easier to take the steps than to revise in chunks.
Its easier to revise and memorise something you learnt for the first time, so for the second time you need to remember the content you have revision notes ready and you basically cemented it in your knowledge the first time round so all thats left is a refresher.

If you don't understand something, don't move on. (After completing my A Levels, there's stuff i STILL don't fully understand but luckily it did not come in the exam)

Even if its time consuming and may take everyday, its worth it if you want top grades

Aha okay, thank you! I'll definitely take your advice, it makes sense
Reply 9
Original post by PurpleDelight
Enjoy, relax this summer cos the next summer(s) will feel tense. But if you want to go to university and have an idea of what field you want to go in, I think it's better to do work experience, volunteering and maybe a job. That would give you a good headstart for your personal statement in your UCAS application.

Yeah I've already done some work experience, but that's a good idea
Reply 10
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Know what revision resources there are online for your subject,so you won't be wasting half the year looking for revision resources online.Chemistry-machemguy,allery tutors.Maths-examsolutions, Jack Brown. Biology-I just google notes.

Make sure you have the right calculator for maths.Make sure you understand the GCSE maths content well-as the beginning parts of A-level pure maths builds up on GCSE knowledge.

Start A-levels with the right mindset and don't have high expectations and know that it will be hard.By right mindset,I mean do not be too relaxed in the beginning but work from the beginning but don't burn out.

Get folders and lots of paper.

Relax,you won't be doing much relaxation in the summer of year 12,so enjoy the freedom whilst you have it.Maybe start a summer bucket list?

Thanks so much for the revision resources. Yeah, I think going over a bit of GCSE content will be a good idea too. Thanks for the advice! And yah, I've sort of got a summer bucket list but I'm mostly just relaxing

Quick Reply

Latest