The Student Room Group

i took a gap year before med school and forgot everything

Hi so basically, long story short, I took a gap year before applying to med school because i didn't get in the first time so I was going to reapply. I got in the second time round, and, well I have kinda forgotten all my A-level bio and chem content lol. okay, not all of it, but most of it. I realised this when my sister was asking me to explain stuff to her and I completely blanked. Is it worth going over my a-level content again or will it be retaught and brushed up open anyways? Or just any general advice before going into med school will be appreciated.

Thankss
(edited 10 months ago)
this made me laugh because I was in the exact same position as you, took a gap year and reapplied to med and cant answer any questions my younger sister has on a level chemistry. it will be retaught and brushed on again in medical school, dont waste your summer going over content because everything will be new in September!
Reply 2
This is hilarious, it’s like we’re living the same life. I also took a gap year to reapply for medicine (that pesky UCAT!) and it dawned on me whilst my sister was revising for her exams that I’d forgotten a lot of things. This was my concern a few months back so I asked my university if there were any textbooks I should buy to get ahead and familiarise myself with studying again. The response I got back from the university was to not worry about textbooks but to brush up on any A-level topics relating to human biology/chemistry. I’ve had a full time job since last September but I’m leaving mid-July to get back into gear again. I’m not too worried because if I was able to learn the content once, I sure can do it again!
Original post by survivingalevelz
Hi so basically, long story short, I took a gap year before applying to med school because i didn't get in the first time so I was going to reapply. I got in the second time round, and, well I have kinda forgotten all my A-level bio and chem content lol. okay, not all of it, but most of it. I realised this when my sister was asking me to explain stuff to her and I completely blanked. Is it worth going over my a-level content again or will it be retaught and brushed up open anyways? Or just any general advice before going into med school will be appreciated.

Thankss

Hey @survivingalevelz

I think you'll be surprised how much you do remember when you get back into it! Your first year will go over information you will have some knowledge on, but in much more detail. There will be topics that will only have been glossed over at A Level that they will really get into so you'll find lots of students will be in the same situation that they can't recall everything they had learned at college. You'll be able to apply the knowledge you do have to help you understand more complex new information.

You should get a reading list before you start so check out some of the online textbooks just to get yourself in that head space but I'd advise enjoy your summer and don't worry about it too much but make the most of resources available to you for independent learning when you start your course.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Original post by marble arch
this made me laugh because I was in the exact same position as you, took a gap year and reapplied to med and cant answer any questions my younger sister has on a level chemistry. it will be retaught and brushed on again in medical school, dont waste your summer going over content because everything will be new in September!

Original post by Trueolive
This is hilarious, it’s like we’re living the same life. I also took a gap year to reapply for medicine (that pesky UCAT!) and it dawned on me whilst my sister was revising for her exams that I’d forgotten a lot of things. This was my concern a few months back so I asked my university if there were any textbooks I should buy to get ahead and familiarise myself with studying again. The response I got back from the university was to not worry about textbooks but to brush up on any A-level topics relating to human biology/chemistry. I’ve had a full time job since last September but I’m leaving mid-July to get back into gear again. I’m not too worried because if I was able to learn the content once, I sure can do it again!

Hahahah im glad to know im not alone and its funny how it was all of our sisters. my sister literally and i quote said "how did you even get into med school?" when i couldn't explain organic chem to her and then i asked myself the same question 😭. Though, you both are saying different things with great points but i still have no idea what to do and tbh i really hope i dont have to brush up on it A levels were traumtic enough
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey @survivingalevelz

I think you'll be surprised how much you do remember when you get back into it! Your first year will go over information you will have some knowledge on, but in much more detail. There will be topics that will only have been glossed over at A Level that they will really get into so you'll find lots of students will be in the same situation that they can't recall everything they had learned at college. You'll be able to apply the knowledge you do have to help you understand more complex new information.

You should get a reading list before you start so check out some of the online textbooks just to get yourself in that head space but I'd advise enjoy your summer and don't worry about it too much but make the most of resources available to you for independent learning when you start your course.

Best wishes

Hey Hayley, thanks so much for this. Honestly, this was the reassurance I needed. I wasn't too keen on spending my summer revising so this has really helped calmed my nerves down. I think I might just take your advice and get a reading list so I can at least know what to expect.

Thank you
Hey Hayley, thanks so much for this. Honestly, this was the reassurance I needed. I wasn't too keen on spending my summer revising so this has really helped calmed my nerves down. I think I might just take your advice and get a reading list so I can at least know what to expect.

Thank you

Hey @survivingalevelz

You're welcome :smile: It's a hectic feeling before you start any degree because sometimes we feel like we want to know everything before we've been taught it. Nothing wrong with brushing up on A Level content but at university you will be taught a more advanced / in depth version of everything anyway. Things like cellular pathways and cascades were the bane of my life lol.

I follow Ninja Nerd on YouTube, they explain things in a really fun and detailed way. It relates to medicine in the US so don't use it to replace your actual lectures, but if you're struggling with things and you need a different perspective, then their videos are great and really easy to understand.
https://www.ninjanerd.org/#topics

Best wishes
Original post by papa healer
lost love spell that works within 2 days.

Are you looking forward to returning back your loved one?, do'nt to call or watts app papa on +256781779170.

boy WHAT

Thankss

Yes, it is worth going over some A-level content. You have to be selective in what you revise though- easily ignore stuff about plants and tropisms and all of that stuff and just focus on human-related biology. It probably isn't worth spending time going through chemistry or maths though, but you may want to go through it again just to get into the rhythm of studying which is probably more important.
Original post by marble arch
boy WHAT

I'm about to use the spell on yew :wink::tongue::aetsch:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending