The Student Room Group

Why is physical health and mental health treated so differently by society?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
if we took depression and anxiety seriously it would be too costly for the NHS. too many people suffer from it and there's no cure, so taxes would go through the roof if we actually wanted to treat it. the 'no cure' part is why we're expected to just live with it, unfortunately.
Reply 21
Original post by Joleee
if we took depression and anxiety seriously it would be too costly for the NHS. too many people suffer from it and there's no cure, so taxes would go through the roof if we actually wanted to treat it. the 'no cure' part is why we're expected to just live with it, unfortunately.

That’s quite cynical but surely if we treated it and acknowledged it early on we could reduce the number of people who go on to develope a serious illness and as such fewer people would need costly treatment.
Reply 22
Original post by 12aissid
That’s quite cynical but surely if we treated it and acknowledged it early on we could reduce the number of people who go on to develope a serious illness and as such fewer people would need costly treatment.

it is quite cynical indeed. but i know first hand that the NHS only offers so much support and i'm sure it all boils own to their budge. it's not their lack of caring; it's lack of funds.
Reply 23
I guess it's because mental health is harder to spot than physical health. Also as people tend to joke about depression, suicide etc it's difficult to tell if someone is genuinely suffering from a mental illness as some fake it for attention (which is disgusting).
Mental illness often results directly in a different expression of self and ones own personality and behaviour towards others. This affects perception of that person therefore social bonding. With physical health this is generally not so much the case, personality is often normally expressed.
Reply 25
Original post by kiki213
I guess it's because mental health is harder to spot than physical health. Also as people tend to joke about depression, suicide etc it's difficult to tell if someone is genuinely suffering from a mental illness as some fake it for attention (which is disgusting).

Or someone is joking about as a way to tell other people they are going through something like me. ( I used to do that)
Reply 26
Original post by 12aissid
Or someone is joking about as a way to tell other people they are going through something like me. ( I used to do that)

That I can understand, that's fine. It's just the people who make fun of it to make others laugh when they genuinely don't have a mental illness that annoys me.
Reply 27
Original post by kiki213
That I can understand, that's fine. It's just the people who make fun of it to make others laugh when they genuinely don't have a mental illness that annoys me.

Yeah it’s does take away from the suffering people who have a mental illnes can go through. And makes it seem like it’s not serious or important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending