The Student Room Group

Failed 2 modules on my 2nd year at uni

So due to severe complications of my mental health issues I basically failed 2 modules out of 6, which make up 60 credits out of 120 (basically half year),

I passed all modules of first year though, and also have a Study Need Agreement. I emailed my lead tutor and explained the situation he said I will have to repeat the whole year next year before I can progress onto 3rd year of study.

However when I read the regulation of my university they say

The student cannot undertake further levels of the same programme if they have more than 60 credits of failure from the previous levels.

So surely that means i can retake them next year at the same time with my third year modules right? What if my uni goes against its regulation? Has it happened to anyone before? What should I do then? I raised the question replying to my tutor but he hasnt got back to me yet.

Any help or advice will be useful, thank you
Original post by bleubird
So due to severe complications of my mental health issues I basically failed 2 modules out of 6, which make up 60 credits out of 120 (basically half year),

I passed all modules of first year though, and also have a Study Need Agreement. I emailed my lead tutor and explained the situation he said I will have to repeat the whole year next year before I can progress onto 3rd year of study.

However when I read the regulation of my university they say

The student cannot undertake further levels of the same programme if they have more than 60 credits of failure from the previous levels.

So surely that means i can retake them next year at the same time with my third year modules right? What if my uni goes against its regulation? Has it happened to anyone before? What should I do then? I raised the question replying to my tutor but he hasnt got back to me yet.

Any help or advice will be useful, thank you

Go and see a student advisor. It isnt clear what that means and there is no surrounding context.

All I think it means is you cant go to third year if you have more than 60 credit failures. On the other hand it doesnt say you can go to 3rd year because you have 60 credit passes. It is just an absolute bar.

It doesnt stop your uni saying you cant progress with exactly 60 credits.

In most cases it is quite normal to prevent any progression until you have passed the 120 credits for your year through resits. On the odd occasion and for a small amount of non core credits unis sometimes let you proceed i.e 15 credits. Yours has decided against that.

It is absolutely no surprise that they expect you to repeat the year.

Imo there would be a large chance that if you tried to do 3rd year plus the old modules it would caise you to crash out completely.

Show some patience, work out how and why things went wrong and work hard to get good marks. Imo the uni is being kind and giving you another chance whereas your idea is likely to end in disaster.

Go and talk to an adviser in the SU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending