The Student Room Group

Have I completely failed this year

Ok so I have a total of 7 modules for my musical theatre course, I have done pretty well on all of them except one, (for context all my other modules equal up to a B), on this one certain module which is split up in two assessments (50% for both) on the first assessment I passed with a score of 51/100 but with the other one I failed by two points with a scores of 38/100. I got a email today saying how I have to go in person for a reassessment, I told them I have no way to get there with my current financial situation. I got a email back saying Unfortunately, with regards to this assessment, if you decided to not attend then it was be classed as a 0 fail. Your academic profile would then be reviewed at the next progression and awards board in August as to whether you can progress to the next year of study.”, so because I failed by 2 points on one assessment they can now make that score 0 because I just don’t have the money to travel all the way back to the uni for this reassessment. And now I may have to retake a year because they’ve made my score 0 when It was actually 38? Doesn’t sound fair to me. Opinions please I really don’t know what to do and I can’t stop having panic attacks now.
Reply 1
Another piece of information, my overall module percentage is 44% with both assessments combined which according to Google isn’t even a fail for the overall module so why are they trying to get rid of my original score.
Most unis have emergency funds (loans/bursaries) available if your circumstances are very serious. I would investigate that.
Contact your student services/ support team and request funds so that you can arrange transport.

You should prioritise getting to that assessment as soon as possible.
Reply 4
Original post by Loopskull
Another piece of information, my overall module percentage is 44% with both assessments combined which according to Google isn’t even a fail for the overall module so why are they trying to get rid of my original score.

You'll need to check the module description, but it seems likely that the component that you got 38% in is classed as a "must pass" component.

As @Admit-One and @AliceRoseGuy have said, check with your university and student union to see what emergency funding might be available. At some universities it might be called a "hardship fund". Whatever it's called, it's likely that there will be some funding you can apply for, either as a grant or as a loan.
@Loopskull

That's so annoying!

As has been said before do contact your uni to see if there is support available.

You could also talk to your bank to see if you could get an extended overdraft, but they might want to know that money will be coming into the account.

Have you got any work lined up over the summer?

If you haven't already got a student account, do change it. Student accounts are normally interest-free which means you avoid extra charges if you overspend.

I know it feels frustrating and annoying, but go to the reassessment.

You don't want to miss out on starting second year this autumn.

Take courage. You can do it!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending