The Student Room Group

A level psychology

I’m taking psychology as an a-level this September however I never studied it at GCSE, is there any aspects I should familiarise myself with before starting the school year? Or will they teach the subject as if it was new to everyone?
Reply 1
At my school they taught it as though everyone was new, however it never hurts to get a head start by looking through the spec.
I'm going into Year 13 this year having done a year of A Level Psychology. I did absolutely nothing to prepare the summer before Year 12 -- you're not expected to have any previous experience with Psychology. As long as you work hard and make sure you know the content, you should be fine :smile: (I got 100% in one of my mock papers).
Reply 3
Original post by THS2018
At my school they taught it as though everyone was new, however it never hurts to get a head start by looking through the spec.

Original post by joni292
I'm going into Year 13 this year having done a year of A Level Psychology. I did absolutely nothing to prepare the summer before Year 12 -- you're not expected to have any previous experience with Psychology. As long as you work hard and make sure you know the content, you should be fine :smile: (I got 100% in one of my mock papers).

Ohh okay, that’s a lot more reassuring then, I might just learn some basic key words to get a slight head start. Thanks for the help! :smile:
No one in my college knew anything...

But if you want to start looking at things now, do you know what exam board you are following?
Reply 5
Original post by minivampire
No one in my college knew anything...

But if you want to start looking at things now, do you know what exam board you are following?

I’m pretty sure it’s AQA :smile:
Original post by _meg1
I’m pretty sure it’s AQA :smile:

Okay cool, I went through AQA too!
A few suggestions if you want;

Paper 1:
Social influence
- Milgrams shock experiment
- Zimbaro standford prison (this is also a movie!)
- Asch line experiment
Attachment
- Bowly is the main guy you'll look at, as well as Mary Ainsworth and Shaffer and Emerson.
- Harlows monkeys
- Lorenz and the goslings
Memory
- Multi store model
- Working memory model
- Types of long term memory

My teacher writes the papers you will sit and she used the following sites;
Tutor2u (also on youtubr)
SimplyPsychology

*it may help to look at 'issues and debates' as these come up in paper 3 as theit own section, but as well they are used as evaluation points for everything. So basically you will use them for every paper ever study.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Okay cool, I went through AQA too!
A few suggestions if you want;

Paper 1:
Social influence
- Milgrams shock experiment
- Zimbaro standford prison (this is also a movie!)
- Asch line experiment
Attachment
- Bowly is the main guy you'll look at, as well as Mary Ainsworth and Shaffer and Emerson.
- Harlows monkeys
- Lorenz and the goslings
Memory
- Multi store model
- Working memory model
- Types of long term memory

My teacher writes the papers you will sit and she used the following sites;
Tutor2u (also on youtubr)
SimplyPsychology

Oo okay, I’ll take a look at them, thanks for your help!! :smile:
Original post by _meg1
Oo okay, I’ll take a look at them, thanks for your help!! :smile:

No problem :smile:
If you ever have any questions/get stuck through your studies, don't hesitate to message.
I'm going uni for Psyc so I won't forget anything :wink:
Reply 9
No problem :smile:
If you ever have any questions/get stuck through your studies, don't hesitate to message.
I'm going uni for Psyc so I won't forget anything :wink:

Thanks again! I probably will haha!
Oo good luck with your studies then :smile:
Reply 10
I did AQA and have a blog on which ive posted my essays now that ive finished. Its still a work in progress but i will update it and provide tips. Hope it helps in the future if not now in some way. https://samsendshelp.wixsite.com/alevelpsychandecon/home/category/Psychology
Reply 11
Original post by Samiik
I did AQA and have a blog on which ive posted my essays now that ive finished. Its still a work in progress but i will update it and provide tips. Hope it helps in the future if not now in some way. https://samsendshelp.wixsite.com/alevelpsychandecon/home/category/Psychology

I’ll check it out, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending