The Student Room Group

English A-Level Remarking?

Just a question about the remarking process, I got an A in English Literature and I’m really happy with that grade, but it turns out I got 184 marks and the grade boundary for an A* is 185. I’d like to get it remarked and have it go up but the grade boundary for an A is 174 and I don’t want it to go down to a B. I know the possibility is low but was wondering if anyone went through remarking before or had any advice?
Thank you! X
If you're happy with your grade and your entry into university isn't conditional on you getting an A*, then my personal opinion would be to just leave it. It's frustrating I know, and the chance of your grade going down is quite unlikely, but it depends on whether you think the price of a remark is worth it. :dontknow:
If the school are offering to pay for it I would go for it just to be curious, because englit is so subjective! I know someone who applied for a remark and they went up by 23 marks (!!)
Reply 3
Just wondering did they have AQA?

Original post by AmberStudies
If the school are offering to pay for it I would go for it just to be curious, because englit is so subjective! I know someone who applied for a remark and they went up by 23 marks (!!)
Original post by RB2001
Just wondering did they have AQA?

I think so but please don't take my word for this as I can't quite remember!
this is so ironic as I collected my AS results soon after I posted and englit turned out to be my lowest grade (B, 5 marks off an A as well argh!!) so I have the dilemma of choosing a remark or not too
Reply 5
Oh ok fair enough that is really close to an A!
Hopefully, you get it if you do decide to go for a remark :smile:

this is so ironic as I collected my AS results soon after I posted and englit turned out to be my lowest grade (B, 5 marks off an A as well argh!!) so I have the dilemma of choosing a remark or not too
Reply 6

Hi, in a similar position to you. English is my favourite subject and found the exam quite good. But got my AS results yesterday and got a B (1 mark from an A). If your parents are okay with the cost then go for it. I just requested a remark today. As you are way closer to the A boundary than the B boundary it is very unlikely you will be marked down. But it is a personal decision.

Curious as to what exam board you had. My teacher said Edexcel marked English AS (specifically prose paper) quite harshly when considering my class’ results.
Original post by _.temi._
Hi, in a similar position to you. English is my favourite subject and found the exam quite good. But got my AS results yesterday and got a B (1 mark from an A). If your parents are okay with the cost then go for it. I just requested a remark today. As you are way closer to the A boundary than the B boundary it is very unlikely you will be marked down. But it is a personal decision.

Curious as to what exam board you had. My teacher said Edexcel marked English AS (specifically prose paper) quite harshly when considering my class’ results.

I'm actually smack bang in the middle of B/A! I did edexcel, I think paper 2 was where I went wrong as I could literally feel myself writing a substandard essay, yet I could do nothing to stop it.

Do you know of the deadline for requesting / submitting a remark as I can't find it anywhere on the edexcel website? However it is really hard to navigate. Also, could you keep me updated on the results of your remark? :smile:
Reply 8
I'm actually smack bang in the middle of B/A! I did edexcel, I think paper 2 was where I went wrong as I could literally feel myself writing a substandard essay, yet I could do nothing to stop it.

Do you know of the deadline for requesting / submitting a remark as I can't find it anywhere on the edexcel website? However it is really hard to navigate. Also, could you keep me updated on the results of your remark? :smile:

Hi again, I think the deadline is 25th August. Just sent my paperwork in yesterday, will definitely keep you updated 🤞🏾:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest