The Student Room Group

Terrible AS grades. Can i still apply to Medicine?

Today is A Level results day so as you do on a results day, i woke up bright and early to get ready and collect my AS results at 9am, despite having known that i hadn't worked particularly hard this year and expecting the worse.

I had sat AS Chemistry, Biology and Physics and i had struggled greatly during the year by not working hard enough and especially in Physics due to also having a rather bad teacher who told us to learn topics from the books by ourselves.

The results i received were C B E for Chem, Bio and Physics respectively and this was a huge shock for me after getting A*A*A for GCSE.

I want to go into Medicine and am quite aware that with these as predicted grades, it will be impossible.

Any ideas as to what i can do next?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Your options include:

1) Applying post-Alevels. Clearly, standard requirements are minimum AAA.
2) Determine if eligible for medicine with a foundation year, which can include social deprivation criteria, and apply to one of those courses (lower entry requirements)
3) Do a different degree and apply to graduate entry medicine.
4) Don't do medicine. Why is it that you actually want to do medicine?

The main barrier here is your grades, not what predicted grades might be. Turning BCE into AAA is going to be really hard. You need to work out what went wrong and correct it ASAP, or none of the options above will be relevant and neither will any of your backup plans!

Quick Reply

Latest