The Student Room Group

Potential mature student looking for help/advice

Hi I’m looking for help and advice regarding becoming a mature student.
I’m hoping to study to become a Physiotherapist, and have a number of queries:
•I’m currently an Ambulance Technician and have a BTEC level 3 diploma which I studied as part of my qualification- Would this suffice as an access to HE?
If not what access courses would people recommend?
•Are the access courses potentially funded?
•Fast forward to obtaining a place on a course - what sort of help/funding options are out there for someone nearly 40 with dependants?
•Finally am I dreaming of achieving this? and or do people have similar plans or experiences?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Cheers

James
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi James

I’m a mature student (or will be when I enrol in 17 days).

I looked at the same course before deciding on something else. I applied to Lincoln, who advised this to be one of the most popular courses there - the course leader was very helpful guiding me!

Maybe get in touch with someone at your chosen Uni for advice? Lincoln were great!

I have 2 children and a mortgage, husband works but I’m entitled to SF for my course to be paid for and a maintenance loan and assistance with childcare too. This varies on earnings but would recommend the calculator on SF.

Good Luck with what you decide
Reply 2
Sounds like you have great experience in healthcare already :smile:, I susspect you could get on a physiotherapy course as long as you have/get a minimum requirement academically (the unis will be able to advise on this). Mature students are usally considered case by case so you may be all set currently.

I managed to get on a physiotherapy degree by working up through access courses after leaving school, then doing a sport science degree (I know of others who got on from HNCs). I only have poor/average GCSE's and no A levels, there are definitely other routes to getting there.

I also had an inspiring educator on one of my placements who was originally a carer, then qualified as a nurse and then a physio.

It can certainly be done if you want it enough :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending