The Student Room Group

A Level options! Which English to study?

Hi, I have been debating this for a while, but I’m still unsure whether to begin studying English Language or English Language and Literature. I have a passion for language analysis which is why I’m choosing to lean towards Language rather than straight Literature. What advice do you have/ experiences? Thank you!
Reply 1
I did both.

Language is much more dry and personally I found it easier. It's simply learning key words and being able to analyse text in depth. As long as you talk confidently and remember there is no wrong answer, you'll do well.

Literature is harder and preferred by unis. It mainly involves studying texts and looking at themes and context. However, if you get stuck with a book you don't like you have to analyse it and remember quotes for 2 years.

Sounds like Lang might be better for your own preference but its quite a lot easier and therefore not as highly valued among unis.
Original post by Gus_4
I did both.

Language is much more dry and personally I found it easier. It's simply learning key words and being able to analyse text in depth. As long as you talk confidently and remember there is no wrong answer, you'll do well.

Literature is harder and preferred by unis. It mainly involves studying texts and looking at themes and context. However, if you get stuck with a book you don't like you have to analyse it and remember quotes for 2 years.

Sounds like Lang might be better for your own preference but its quite a lot easier and therefore not as highly valued among unis.

Thanks for the advice! What have you heard about English combined, could this also be a good option and is it preferred by unis to language on its own?
Reply 3
I did English’ language and literature with WJEC exam board and it was very similar to GCSE English. I found it quite easy but Similarly to English literature though, you still need to read texts and memorise quotes for the A2 exams.
Original post by Fandahaq
I did English’ language and literature with WJEC exam board and it was very similar to GCSE English. I found it quite easy but Similarly to English literature though, you still need to read texts and memorise quotes for the A2 exams.

Hi, that’s the examboard I would be doing if I choose to study English combined, did you enjoy the course?
Reply 5
Original post by Abbyainscough
Hi, that’s the examboard I would be doing if I choose to study English combined, did you enjoy the course?

Hi, yessss I really enjoyed the course! There’s a creative writing element to it too (20% of the final grade) so if you enjoy that then I’d highly recommend you choose English combined.
I was struggling to decide too, but I finally settled on Lang. Try reading some of the books that go with the Lang course (I'd reccommend Bad Language by Lars Andersson and Peter Trudgill) and some that go with Lit (Maybe the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood) and see which you prefer.
Original post by Abbyainscough
Hi, I have been debating this for a while, but I’m still unsure whether to begin studying English Language or English Language and Literature. I have a passion for language analysis which is why I’m choosing to lean towards Language rather than straight Literature. What advice do you have/ experiences? Thank you!

English Language and Literature

Quick Reply

Latest