The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
If I had children, and if I had the money, then there'd be no question about sending them to a private school. The reason being that if I had that kind of money, then I'd have the freedom to send them to the kind of school I wanted them to go to and that suited them as individuals. It would also mean that I would have the freedom to take them away from that school, should it not work out, and I wouldn't be restricted to whatever state school my LEA deemed suitable. I was desperately unhappy at school and was bullied a great deal, and what made it worse was that my mum didn't have the money and resources to send me anywhere else, so I was stuck in a school that did me far more harm than good. I would never want my (theoretical) children to be in that situation, so if I could afford it then they'd be sent private - as I said, it's not really about exam grades, it's about having the money to have the freedom to move a child if necessary (and, more cynically, it's about the school having to do a bit more to please you as a 'paying customer'). I also wouldn't rule out homeschooling, if it suited a child and if I didn't live near a school that shared my philosophies.

Also, I'm very enthusiastic about small and alternative schools, and as they don't tend to exist in the state system if I wanted my child to experience that then it'd have to go private.
Reply 81
Private school. I've only ever been to private school, and, though whilst I wanted to go to a state school at 11 instead of my all-girls school, and then a different state school at 16, I'm glad my parents always sent me to private school. I would have hated to be in a massive state school and I want to give my future kids the same kind of schooling I've had.
Reply 82
Private providing I have the finances to allow it.
Reply 83
Mrm.
erm I think that you will find That MT Boys actually got 95.1% of GCSE (/IGCSE) exams at grade C or above......

MT boys deemed the GCSE Maths as way too easy and so scrapped it and replaced it with the IGCSE maths which the government fail to recognise in their oh so useful league tables.......

MT is a top 250 GCSE and Top 100 A-level school..........every year without fail

Well they may do that, but since everything in the education system seems to be about league tables, MT Boys only got 29%, no matter what GCSE or IGCSE or whatever the hell they took. All exams are the same anyway - a pure memory test.
Reply 84
Private, I imagine. Why not?
orionmoo
Well they may do that, but since everything in the education system seems to be about league tables, MT Boys only got 29%, no matter what GCSE or IGCSE or whatever the hell they took. All exams are the same anyway - a pure memory test.

It is not a case of "well that maybe...but they still only got 29% blah blah....", that it is a very simplistic, very false and very naive stance to take. If you think that League tables are what is important in education then I pity you, I really Pity you.

Your post is nonsense, and barely deserves a response.

The thread is about different types of schools and where people would send their children, your previous post slates an exceptionally successful school with meaningless statistics that portray a very false picture. It is blatantly obvious that you have no understanding of what the figures actually mean, but are happy to try and justify such a flawed measure that you have read about in some 3rd rate rag.

please don't bother.
Reply 86
Pippaaa
depends. i've done private, state, and grammar at varying stages, and i absolutely LOVED my private school. i was so incredibly settled in, and ut challenged me far more than my state school. if it was financially possible, i'd definitely put my children through pre-prep, and probably prep too as i wouldn't see the point in taking them out of the school after that if they were settled.

er, yes they do :smile: the grammar school i went to still runs the 11+.

What are those and how do they work?:ninja: :redface:
Reply 87
Private school if I can afford it.
Reply 88
It would entirely depend on what the schools were like in my local area. If they were crap and the private school was very good then of course I would make the efort to send them there.
yeap - I am a posh little snob through-and-through.

Private Grammar for mine.
Unless there was a truly outstanding Grammar School in my area (such as Colyton Grammar School in Devon, which achieves amazing results, and one of my local schools, which is equally brilliant) I would send them to a very good Private School, if i can afford it. If i can't afford it, I will hire as many tutors as necessary to get them through the 11+.

I wouldn't send them to a bog-standard comprehensive.
Reply 91
Elements
What are those and how do they work?:ninja: :redface:

Pre-preparatory (pre-prep) - Is the term used to describe schools (or departments of schools) that take children from 4-7 years.
Preparatory (prep) - The term traditionally used for schools that take children from 7-13 years, but it's often used now to refer to schools that only go up to 11 as well, as well as being used as a blanket term for independent 'primary' schools (a lot call themselves prep. schools, even though it's not a strictly accurate use of the term). Traditionally though a prep school was (generally) a boarding school for 7-13 yr olds. It has a different meaning in the States, where a prep school is what we would call a 'high school' (in the American sense), as there the term is used to refer to a school that prepares children for College (18+), rather than for entry to a Public school (13-18).
brightxburns

I wouldn't send them to a bog-standard comprehensive.

Yes, but if they can make it at a "bog-standard comprehensive" they can make it anywhere.
I'd send them to a private school. Or if they were talented enough, I'd send them to the best grammar school in the area.
scaryhair
Yes, but if they can make it at a "bog-standard comprehensive" they can make it anywhere.

I wouldn't want them to have to try to do that, though. I'd want to give them every advantage in life.
Sending them to private school isn't necessarily 'every advantage in life'. A lot of people believe that students from state schools are more socially prepared as they have to get on with all sorts of people, from all sorts of backgrounds, as you do in life. Also, I believe state school is a better preparation for the real world, because you don't get every opportunity offered to you in the real world, sometimes you have to go out there and find them for yourself.

No offence intended to anyone, obviously.
scaryhair
Sending them to private school isn't necessarily 'every advantage in life'.

I didn't say it was 'every advantage'. I'd want my kids to have every advantage I could provide, and a private education is one of them.

A lot of people believe that students from state schools are more socially prepared as they have to get on with all sorts of people, from all sorts of backgrounds, as you do in life. Also, I believe state school is a better preparation for the real world, because you don't get every opportunity offered to you in the real world, sometimes you have to go out there and find them for yourself.

No offence intended to anyone, obviously.

There are enough disadvantages in going to a non-selective state school (which, I assume, is what you're referring to when you say 'state school') to render your championing of having to 'work harder' and 'get on with lots of people' completely irrelevant.

What's the point in enduring lacklustre teachers, substandard facilities and disinterested, disruptive classmates if you can have better? If you are academically-minded, and want access to better facilities without paying any money, go to a grammar school. If you can afford to pay the money, go private.

And please don't tell me I'm stereotyping, because plenty of my friends went to comprehensives and had to really STRUGGLE to achieve decent grades, and put up with certan types of classmates.

Until comprehensive schools improve, parents will carry on to do whats best for their children.
Private school

And Im sure they still do the 11+ ?? :s
brightxburns
Until comprehensive schools improve, parents will carry on to do whats best for their children.

We obviously have very different views of what is best for children then :smile:
scaryhair
I believe state school is a better preparation for the real world, because you don't get every opportunity offered to you in the real world, sometimes you have to go out there and find them for yourself.

But if you have never had an opportunity than how can you possibly go and 'find' them.
Surely, you would to give your children all the opportunities in life so when they leave school they are ready as opposed to having to find them.
seems cruel to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending