The Student Room Group

Retook my A-levels (CIE) and still didn't get the grades for med school.

Okay, so, basically, I took my A-levels twice, getting BCC the first time (2017) and A*CC this year. I'm not a UK citizen, I didn't apply for med school last October, and I can't apply for the medical school where I live because I didn't take the local A-levels here. I know it's completely my fault because I didn't do sufficient research into the UK admissions process, hence missing the UCAS deadline, and on top of that, I didn't take my A-levels seriously, both times. I also know that if I had put in enough effort, I could've achieved the grades I wanted easily. In other words, I missed my grades because I distracted myself and not because I'm not capable of getting them. So, now that I've basically explained my situation, I just want to know what to do from here. I looked into foundation years and graduate medicine but most of the foundation years in the UK are only for UK citizens, and apparently GEM is very competitive. I was thinking of doing a Psychology undergrad here in my country, because I'm also interested in that field, but I still want to know my options when it comes to medicine because it's something I really really want to do. I know it was a long paragraph, thank you for taking the time to read it. :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, so, basically, I took my A-levels twice, getting BCC the first time (2017) and A*CC this year. I'm not a UK citizen, I didn't apply for med school last October, and I can't apply for the medical school where I live because I didn't take the local A-levels here. I know it's completely my fault because I didn't do sufficient research into the UK admissions process, hence missing the UCAS deadline, and on top of that, I didn't take my A-levels seriously, both times. I also know that if I had put in enough effort, I could've achieved the grades I wanted easily. In other words, I missed my grades because I distracted myself and not because I'm not capable of getting them. So, now that I've basically explained my situation, I just want to know what to do from here. I looked into foundation years and graduate medicine but most of the foundation years in the UK are only for UK citizens, and apparently GEM is very competitive. I was thinking of doing a Psychology undergrad here in my country, because I'm also interested in that field, but I still want to know my options when it comes to medicine because it's something I really really want to do. I know it was a long paragraph, thank you for taking the time to read it. :biggrin:

1. Most likely no chance of straight undergrad medicine. 85% of school dont accept resits. the ones that do may not accept double resits.
2. Biomed and seek a transfer onto med because of excellent results. Risky if you arent good enough.
3. GEM= very competitive.
4. International medical school i,e E Europe.
5. Other career.

You say you could have got the grades except you couldnt be bothered, so now you have to deal with sorting things out. Your chances of med have diminished because you didnt get things together. If you really really want it as you say then you are going to need to apply yourself.
I thought you were going to point out I was wrong.... I make mistakes sometimes so please flag them.

I would be very frustrated if I had the ability, but hadnt done the research and hadnt worked hard enough. Not really many breadcrumbs for people coming second or third in this race. Tough lessons to learn.
Original post by 999tigger
1. Most likely no chance of straight undergrad medicine. 85% of school dont accept resits. the ones that do may not accept double resits.
2. Biomed and seek a transfer onto med because of excellent results. Risky if you arent good enough.
3. GEM= very competitive.
4. International medical school i,e E Europe.
5. Other career.

You say you could have got the grades except you couldnt be bothered, so now you have to deal with sorting things out. Your chances of med have diminished because you didnt get things together. If you really really want it as you say then you are going to need to apply yourself.

Yep, everything you said is exactly as I thought. And yes, I am aware of my mistake, big time, and I'm willing to apply myself a 100% now, I just wanted to know how and where to restart/pick myself up.
I looked into the medical courses in East Europe, even before I took my A-levels again, and I actually wanted to try out Belarus/Latvia, but my parents were not comfortable with the idea and wanted me to resit instead. I'm pretty sure they're still not willing to send me to East Europe.

I will research into biomed.

But with all that said, thank you for your answer. I know I've been told that a million times before but to have it said from someone idk just reinforces the idea. I know I messed up but I also know that I can do it, I don't want to give medicine up so yes, I'm still going to try my best to get into medicine. And yes, very tough lesson indeed. :tongue: thank you again. :smile:
I agree. Excellent reply! @999tigger :biggrin:

I went to an International School here and they don't offer the local A-level exam. And as I mentioned previously, I cannot get into the medical school here without those exams. Besides that, however, the medical schools here have a history of strikes and it often takes students 10 years to complete a medical degree that lasts only 6 years so my parents weren't too keen on that hence sending me to an international school instead of a local one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending