The Student Room Group

Aston Medicine A100 MBChB 2019 entry

Hi all,

This thread is for all those applying to Aston Medical School for 2019 entry. Don't hesitate to state your stats!

According to their open day, they are now ranking UKCAT scores, but they will not be using a cut-off. UKCAT will now be used in conjunction with academics (GCSE, A-levels) to select candidates.

Your personal statement will not be used in determining who to invite for interviews. Personal statements (I think) are only used in choosing between similar applicants post-interview. (In regards to interviews, they will now be in a MMI format.)

They really support social mobility so those who come from certain widening participation groups and those local to Birmingham (and the Black country) will be given preference, but information regarding this is still yet to be announced! *see below

So with all this said, let the cycle...BEGIN!

* EDIT: AMS have announced that those applying via Widening Participation will now be required to complete an application form which will be e-mailed to all home applicants.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know what their stance is on the SJT part of the UKCAT?
Does anyone know how many interviews and offers they plan on giving out?
Reply 3
Original post by CocoaIzzy
Does anyone know how many interviews and offers they plan on giving out?

I emailed them to ask this and they said they don’t know currently because they don’t know how many applications they’ll receive
Original post by Gastroepiploic
Hi all,

This thread is for all those applying to Aston Medical School for 2019 entry. Don't hesitate to state your stats!

According to their open day, they are now ranking UKCAT scores, but they will not be using a cut-off. UKCAT will now be used in conjunction with academics (GCSE, A-levels) to select candidates.

Your personal statement will not be used in determining who to invite for interviews. Personal statements (I think) are only used in choosing between similar applicants post-interview. (In regards to interviews, they will now be in a MMI format.)

They really support social mobility so those who come from certain widening participation groups and those local to Birmingham (and the Black country) will be given preference, but information regarding this is still yet to be announced!

So with all this said, let the cycle...BEGIN!

Hey,

Do you think i have a chance of getting an interview?
UKCAT: 2390 (really not my thing)
GCSE's: 877A*A*Dist*AAAB
A-Level predictions: A*A*A
And i qualify for widening participation
Original post by Saamuelbryan
Hey,

Do you think i have a chance of getting an interview?
UKCAT: 2390 (really not my thing)
GCSE's: 877A*A*Dist*AAAB
A-Level predictions: A*A*A
And i qualify for widening participation

I'm afraid I can not inform you on the likelihood of you being invited for an interview. But as you qualify for widening participation, they will take this into account when selecting candidates. It all depends on the quantity and quality of those who are applying. Good luck!!!! :h:
Reply 6
Hi what was ur UKcat score for aston
Reply 7

Is it worth applying with the following?
GCSE: 2 A*, 6 A, 2 B's
A levels: 3 A's predicted
UKCAT: 597.5, Band 3

Original post by Aston University
Hey everyone,

I see a lot of people here are a bit anxious about not hearing anything back yet.

While I can't speak about the medical school, when I applied for my course, it took more than an month for Aston to reply.

The amount of time you wait, doesn't correlate if you're going to be rejected or not. Try not to worry about it, they will reply in due course

Hope this helps!

^Kam

Dear Sir/Madam,
Kindly clarify at the earliest.
My daughter is from India and she does not have any GCSE/A level or similar qualifications.
She is having following Indian qualifications:
1. CBSE class 10 in place of GCSE/IGCSE and qualifications are as follows: a. English -Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) b. Mathematics - Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) c. Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology combined) - Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) d. Social Science (History, Geography, Economics and Political Science combined) -Grade A1 (i.e. 95%)

She is appearing appearing for CBSE class 12 examination in Mar 2019 and expecting to achieve 85% or more in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and English.
UKCAT score is 2500 and SJT in Band 4
She has also appeared for IELTS on 29th Sep 2018.

Kindly confirm whether her application will be considered and whether she has a chance for interview?
With Regards
(edited 5 years ago)
My daughter is from India and she does not have any GCSE/A level or similar qualifications.
1. CBSE class 10 in place of GCSE/IGCSE and qualifications are as follows: a. English -Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) b. Mathematics - Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) c. Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology combined) - Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) d. Social Science (History, Geography, Economics and Political Science combined) -Grade A1 (i.e. 95%)

She is appearing appearing for CBSE class 12 examination in Mar 2019 and expecting to achieve 85% or more in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and English.

Kindly confirm whether her application will be considered and whether she has a chance for interview?
With Regards
Reply 10
Original post by swadesh69

With Regards

No UK uni will accept band 4. Do the BMAT and look at the other appropriate unis
Original post by swadesh69

With Regards

Original post by Vvcfgjj
No UK uni will accept band 4. Do the BMAT and look at the other appropriate unis

Having a Band 4 might make it difficult and narrow down your options, but there are still some universities which don't care about your SJT, you just need to be careful with your options:
https://www.themedicportal.com/how-do-medical-schools-use-the-sjt-for-2019-entry/

But as the person above said, it might be worth a shot trying out the BMAT - there's still 4 days left to apply.

Also, I'd email Aston directly with your daughter's qualifications as they may be able to provide a more appropriate response.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CocoaIzzy
Having a Band 4 might make it difficult and narrow down your options, but there are still some universities which don't care about your SJT, you just need to be careful with your options:
https://www.themedicportal.com/how-do-medical-schools-use-the-sjt-for-2019-entry/

But as the person above said, it might be worth a shot trying out the BMAT - there's still 4 days left to apply.

Also, I'd email Aston directly with your daughter's qualifications as they may be able to provide a more appropriate response.

Thanks, called Aston and applied.

Kindly suggest the dates when Aston normally call for interview?
Anyone got any email back from Aston yet?
Reply 14
Original post by ibs00786
Anyone got any email back from Aston yet?

I also have not received any acknowledgement from Aston. Should I worry?
Original post by Siaa
I also have not received any acknowledgement from Aston. Should I worry?

Nah as long as it shows up on ucas track, should be good as not all unis sent acknowledgement emails
Original post by ibs00786
Nah as long as it shows up on ucas track, should be good as not all unis sent acknowledgement emails

Got an acknowledgement today
Original post by Easosos1
Got an acknowledgement today

Yeah same got one this morning too
My daughter got yesterday.
Has anyone heard further?

Latest