Aston Medicine A100 MBChB 2019 entry Watch

Gastroepiploic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi all,

This thread is for all those applying to Aston Medical School for 2019 entry. Don't hesitate to state your stats!

According to their open day, they are now ranking UKCAT scores, but they will not be using a cut-off. UKCAT will now be used in conjunction with academics (GCSE, A-levels) to select candidates.

Your personal statement will not be used in determining who to invite for interviews. Personal statements (I think) are only used in choosing between similar applicants post-interview. (In regards to interviews, they will now be in a MMI format.)

They really support social mobility so those who come from certain widening participation groups and those local to Birmingham (and the Black country) will be given preference, but information regarding this is still yet to be announced! *see below

So with all this said, let the cycle...BEGIN!

* EDIT: AMS have announced that those applying via Widening Participation will now be required to complete an application form which will be e-mailed to all home applicants.
Last edited by Gastroepiploic; 1 month ago
Safa197
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Gastroepiploic)
Hi all,

This thread is for all those applying to Aston Medical School for 2019 entry. Don't hesitate to state your stats!

According to their open day, they are now ranking UKCAT scores, but they will not be using a cut-off. UKCAT will now be used in conjunction with academics (GCSE, A-levels) to select candidates.

Your personal statement will not be used in determining who to invite for interviews. Personal statements (I think) are only used in choosing between similar applicants post-interview. (In regards to interviews, they will now be in a MMI format.)

They really support social mobility so those who come from certain widening participation groups and those local to Birmingham (and the Black country) will be given preference, but information regarding this is still yet to be announced!

What are your stats? Where else are you applying?
Gastroepiploic
Rep:
?
(+ On the open day they mentioned that they accepted ABB at A-level strangely)

(Original post by Safa197)
What are your stats? Where else are you applying?
GCSEs: 9A*3A
A-level: AAAa
UKCAT: still needs to be done (probably going to be average(ish))

Only applying to 3! St George's, Aston and Dundee.

x
What are your stats Safa?
Last edited by Gastroepiploic; 3 months ago
username2891270
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Anyone know what their stance is on the SJT part of the UKCAT?
Safa197
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(+ On the open day they mentioned that they accepted ABB at A-level strangely)

GCSEs: 9A*3A
A-level: AAAa
UKCAT: still needs to be done (probably going to be average(ish))

Only applying to 3! St George's, Aston and Dundee.

What are your stats Safa?
Oh wow that's amazing!
GCSEs: 6A*5A
A level predicted: A*A*A
UKCAT: 665, really dissapointed tbh
Gastroepiploic
Rep:
?
Oh wow that's amazing!
GCSEs: 6A*5A
A level predicted: A*A*A
UKCAT: 665, really dissapointed tbh
Thats great! The competition scares me a little though haha! Dont be dissappointed !

I have yet to do mine yet. I hope it'll go ok.
Safa197
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thats great! The competition scares me a little though haha! Dont be dissappointed !

I have yet to do mine yet. I hope it'll go ok.
Goodluck! I'm sure you'll smash it x
CocoaIzzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does anyone know how many interviews and offers they plan on giving out?
Van2599
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CocoaIzzy)
Does anyone know how many interviews and offers they plan on giving out?
I emailed them to ask this and they said they don’t know currently because they don’t know how many applications they’ll receive
Saamuelbryan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi all,

They really support social mobility so those who come from certain widening participation groups and those local to Birmingham (and the Black country) will be given preference, but information regarding this is still yet to be announced!

Hey,

Do you think i have a chance of getting an interview?
UKCAT: 2390 (really not my thing)
GCSE's: 877A*A*Dist*AAAB
A-Level predictions: A*A*A
And i qualify for widening participation
Gastroepiploic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Saamuelbryan)
Hey,

Do you think i have a chance of getting an interview?
UKCAT: 2390 (really not my thing)
GCSE's: 877A*A*Dist*AAAB
A-Level predictions: A*A*A
And i qualify for widening participation
I'm afraid I can not inform you on the likelihood of you being invited for an interview. But as you qualify for widening participation, they will take this into account when selecting candidates. It all depends on the quantity and quality of those who are applying. Good luck!!!!
Easosos1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi what was ur UKcat score for aston
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Vvcfgjj
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
  1. Is it worth applying with the following?
    GCSE: 2 A*, 6 A, 2 B's
    A levels: 3 A's predicted
    UKCAT: 597.5, Band 3
swadesh69
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Kindly clarify at the earliest.
My daughter is from India and she does not have any GCSE/A level or similar qualifications.
She is having following Indian qualifications:
1. CBSE class 10 in place of GCSE/IGCSE and qualifications are as follows: a. English -Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) b. Mathematics - Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) c. Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology combined) - Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) d. Social Science (History, Geography, Economics and Political Science combined) -Grade A1 (i.e. 95%)

She is appearing appearing for CBSE class 12 examination in Mar 2019 and expecting to achieve 85% or more in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and English.
UKCAT score is 2500 and SJT in Band 4
She has also appeared for IELTS on 29th Sep 2018.

Kindly confirm whether her application will be considered and whether she has a chance for interview?
With Regards
Vvcfgjj
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by swadesh69)
My daughter is from India and she does not have any GCSE/A level or similar qualifications.
1. CBSE class 10 in place of GCSE/IGCSE and qualifications are as follows: a. English -Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) b. Mathematics - Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) c. Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology combined) - Grade A1 (i.e. 95%) d. Social Science (History, Geography, Economics and Political Science combined) -Grade A1 (i.e. 95%)

She is appearing appearing for CBSE class 12 examination in Mar 2019 and expecting to achieve 85% or more in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and English.

Kindly confirm whether her application will be considered and whether she has a chance for interview?
With Regards
No UK uni will accept band 4. Do the BMAT and look at the other appropriate unis
CocoaIzzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by swadesh69)

With Regards
(Original post by Vvcfgjj)
No UK uni will accept band 4. Do the BMAT and look at the other appropriate unis
Having a Band 4 might make it difficult and narrow down your options, but there are still some universities which don't care about your SJT, you just need to be careful with your options:
https://www.themedicportal.com/how-d...or-2019-entry/

But as the person above said, it might be worth a shot trying out the BMAT - there's still 4 days left to apply.

Also, I'd email Aston directly with your daughter's qualifications as they may be able to provide a more appropriate response.
Last edited by CocoaIzzy; 2 months ago
swadesh69
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CocoaIzzy)
Having a Band 4 might make it difficult and narrow down your options, but there are still some universities which don't care about your SJT, you just need to be careful with your options:
https://www.themedicportal.com/how-d...or-2019-entry/

But as the person above said, it might be worth a shot trying out the BMAT - there's still 4 days left to apply.

Also, I'd email Aston directly with your daughter's qualifications as they may be able to provide a more appropriate response.
Thanks, called Aston and applied.

Kindly suggest the dates when Aston normally call for interview?
ibs00786
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone got any email back from Aston yet?
Siaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ibs00786)
Anyone got any email back from Aston yet?
I also have not received any acknowledgement from Aston. Should I worry?
ibs00786
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Siaa)
I also have not received any acknowledgement from Aston. Should I worry?
Nah as long as it shows up on ucas track, should be good as not all unis sent acknowledgement emails
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.71%
No - I got the required grades (101)
57.71%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.57%

Watched Threads