The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York university for psychology

Has anyone had any experience at York uni for psychology. Is it good? Do they except student who got below the AAA requirements???
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

University of York
York
Original post by ebonyyharrison
Has anyone had any experience at York uni for psychology. Is it good? Do they except student who got below the AAA requirements???

Hey there! I'm about to start my second year of Psychology at York :smile:

I really enjoy it as the course is so varied. The 5 strands are:

- Brain and Behaviour
- Development and Language
- Perception and Cognition
- Social, Personality, and Abnormal
- Research Methods

There's something for everyone and feel free to message or reply if you want more information about what each of the strands involve to see if it's right for you.

The staff at the department are really nice, are genuinely happy to talk to you about the course, and the essays can be quite interesting to research. I like that everything is contained within the department so all my lectures, tutorials, meetings, and practicals are all in one building rather than being spread out across campus.

When I went on my post-offer open day, I was speaking to the head of applications for the department and he was asking me about my insurance choice (York was my firm). I said that my offer there was AAB whereas York was AAA. He said that, in honesty, I would likely still be accepted with those grades because the department only give offers to applicants that they genuinely believe will enjoy and thrive on the course so unless something goes badly wrong with your exams, you'd probably still be accepted. The course this year was offered through clearing with grades of ABB if that helps ease your mind.
What A Levels do you do? When I went to the open day last year I was told that they sometimes reduce the offer to AAB or ABB (can't remember which) if the applicant does two science subjects.
Original post by concoval
What A Levels do you do? When I went to the open day last year I was told that they sometimes reduce the offer to AAB or ABB (can't remember which) if the applicant does two science subjects.

The offer gets reduced to AAB if an applicant studies any two of the following for A Level:

- maths
- psychology
- chemistry
- biology
- physics
@greghayes Are you sure becuase on the website it doesnt say that they lower the requirements ?
@TSR_Ollie Thank you!
@greghayes Are you sure becuase on the website it doesnt say that they lower the requirements ?

I’ve just checked UCAS and you’re right, it doesn’t say anything about that now. I’m helping at the department’s open days this weekend so I can ask Rob (head of admissions) if you like?
@greghayes yes please
@greghayes yes please

I checked and he confirmed that we aren’t doing that anymore because we wanted to make it a bit more uniform in our admissions policy. However, one science is still required and two is preferable.

Hi, I did my Psychology degree at York and I really enjoyed it. You get such a broad range of modules (like someone mentioned in an earlier post) and it's quite a supportive atmosphere. I definitely recommend :smile:
Hey!

Psychology at York is great, I love it! The modules are really interesting and all the staff are really nice and supportive. Regarding offers, they offered me AAB because I did three science subjects at A Level, I got ABC and they still let me in so they will go below the boundary but I think it also depends on your application and personal statement etc.
@daydreamer100
thanks have u got any tips for the application process and personal statement????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending