The Student Room Group

3 A Levels or 4 A Levels?

Hi all, wow I don't know how many times I've posted my problems on here. It's only been 3 days since I made a TSR account loool.

Anyways, the sixth form I want to go to (Brampton Manor) requires me to take four a levels. I'd study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. The thing is, I don't want to do four a levels because I'm worried it will be too much pressure. Since Brampton does AS levels still, I can drop Psychology after Y12 but I don't want to waste a year having to study something I don't want to study. The sciences and maths are going to be hella difficult anyway so I want to put all of my attention on those. Such a shame :frown: would have been happy going to Brampton but this is stopping me. Or maybe I should just endure it. Idk.

My second choice is NCS (Newham Collegiate). They also require you to do four a levels but somehow they let me put down three a levels (bio,chem,maths) so I will probably go there. Unless they wanna switch up on me on the first day and make me do a fourth subject to fit in my timetable. I'm actually curious, did they make a mistake? They never mentioned anything about doing a fourth a level. My enrolment just happened so quick. Is it because I didn't receive an offer from them before? The principal of NCS says he reserves 25 spaces a year for people who didn't get offers from them. Do these 25 people (including me) get to get away with doing three a levels? Perhaps I will email them concerning this.

Anyone doing four a levels atm? How are you finding it?
Responses are appreciated.
I think it really depends on you, I did 4 a levels and did great in the other 3 but the 4th I got a D (it was biology fyi). But a friend of mine did 4 a levels and got A* in 3 of them and 1A. We both take the same subjects; math, physics, biology and chemistry.
Original post by pat2cornelia
I think it really depends on you, I did 4 a levels and did great in the other 3 but the 4th I got a D (it was biology fyi). But a friend of mine did 4 a levels and got A* in 3 of them and 1A. We both take the same subjects; math, physics, biology and chemistry.

Hmm realistically I don't think I would be able to handle four a levels. Perhaps I could do 3 plus an EPQ, heard universities like that stuff.
Original post by earthworm206
Hmm realistically I don't think I would be able to handle four a levels. Perhaps I could do 3 plus an EPQ, heard universities like that stuff.

if your sixth form accepts that then great!

I think you should try to take 4 a levels in the first year and drop the one you like the least for Y13.

In my case I take math, FM, physics, and chem. Turns out I don't like chem so I dropped it.
Original post by TheTroll73
if your sixth form accepts that then great!

I think you should try to take 4 a levels in the first year and drop the one you like the least for Y13.

In my case I take math, FM, physics, and chem. Turns out I don't like chem so I dropped it.

Yeah, if the sixth form allows me to do 3 + EPQ then I'll go for it since I think an EPQ is worth more than 1 AS level? If not, I don't think I have a choice but to start off doing 4 subjects :s-smilie:
Original post by earthworm206
Yeah, if the sixth form allows me to do 3 + EPQ then I'll go for it since I think an EPQ is worth more than 1 AS level? If not, I don't think I have a choice but to start off doing 4 subjects :s-smilie:

an epq is worth half an a level (so a bit more than as level) and has an A* grade too.
Most unis only look at 3 a levels (apart from like maths or comsci courses which usually ask for further maths), however, a lot more look more favourably to EPQs now. Better to do 3+EPQ and get good grades than waste a year on a subject you don't like

Quick Reply

Latest