The Student Room Group

Physics or Geography

For A Levels, I will be studying Maths, Further Maths and Economics but the 4th subject will be Physics or Geography. However, I'm still not entirely sure what one to do. I do prefer Geography and most likely doing something financial but I'm worried that if I don't do physics, I will be stopping any chance of doing engineering. For reference, I got 9s in both which makes it more difficult to decide. Any clever ideas?
As my username suggests I am biased towards physics. But I understand it is difficult choosing between two possible courses. You should be fine doing either (congrats on the 9's by the way). You should consider whether you want to go into engineering more or finance more (whichever one you thik you will enjoy the most). If you are unsure or really happy to do either as a potential carrer then go by which subject you prefered at GCSE. If you preffered Geography and would like a carrer in finance/or other jobs relating to human geography then I would pick that. You can also go into some research careers from taking Geography as well if you wanted to (keeps your options open anyway) such as geology.
Both are good subjects at A Level but ultimately this decision is yours.
Physics at A Level is pretty complicated (I have heard) and makes use of some GCSE topics in greater depth and complexity. It also has a lot of maths (but looking at your options, I doubt maths will be an issue). That being said, Physics will compliment Maths/FM A Level quite well.
While I don't know much about Geography (because I never took it), I have also heard that this builds up upon GCSE skills.
I would definitely choose the one which I can see myself enjoying for the next 2 years and possibly beyond.

Spoiler

Geography any day. You can get away with waffling in the exam and you don’t have to revise as much as physics which is great. And I did best in my geo a level unsurprisingly. :colondollar:

Or you could do psychology coz if u revise u can actually can get a decent grade if not a top grade.

I believe science subjects r harder at a level, the new specs have been over complicated so it’s better to do a humanities subject at a level as the content is similar to what u learn at GCSE. And this is being said by a student who did well in her science subjects at GCSES but didn’t do that well in her science subjects at A level.

Oh yh no offence physics kinda sucks (especially at A level) :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest