The Student Room Group

Do you think the fall of the Soviet Union was one of history's greatest tragedies?

Scroll to see replies

It depends. From the perspective of removing communism as a legitimate model of governance I think the collapse of the USSR was an unqualified success. Communism is an evil *******isation of the human spirit whose proponents deserve nothing less than to be squashed at their throats.

This being said, I can see the argument which states that the removal of a maior strategic competitor to the United States has allowed America to enact all forms of havoc in the Middle East and create problems which are long lasting. I would have preferred the USSR take a Chinese style economic reform programme and remain a viable competitor against the USA to provide stability and balance.
Original post by qwertyK
As Putin said. "Anyone who wants the soviet union back is a fool. Anyone who doesn't miss it has no heart".

What do you define "Eastern Europe"? The only countries in Central/Eastern Europe that are better off is the combined Czech Republic/Slovakia, Hungary, and Poland. Look at Romania, the EU's poorest country. Other poor countries such as Moldova, Ukraine, Belarus, Albania etc.

Albania was not part of the Soviet Union. All of the former satellite states (you've missed out East Germany) have far higher standards of living now than when they were communist - I speak from experience.
Reply 22
Read the Gulag Archipelago. I am honestly shocked you can be so deluded. Stalin and the soviet union was one of the greatest evils to have ever happened on this earth. Such immense tragedy and suffering you cannot even comprehend.
Original post by qwertyK
In my opinion, the Soviet Union was one of the best things to happen to Russia and much of Eastern Europe. A great army, universal healthcare and education, great leaders such as Stalin. The fall of it left much of the bloc, especially asian countries such as Tajikstan and Uzbekistan in poverty, and let the Obliarchs control Russia whilst crime soared and poverty also hit record levels. The soviet union gave people a purpose. What purpose does "democracy" give people?

Plurality of opinions, especially to have the right and freedom to say your (political) opinion in the public, even if it is different to the others, to deal with your own life as you please without being watching, no economic restrictions by planned economy what means in turn that companies have the freedom to deal with business as they deem to do right, admit innovation and exapnsion in terms of free and unlimited trade worldwide and thus to give the basics to enable technical progress.

Of course even democracy as state of government has its weakness as every single state of government too, and in times of globalization in particular, I am not so happy with certain developments in economy and society, but despite this fact, I would never think of changing democracy with communism. Because democracy in my view still means the freedom of individuals and people in society and economy to guarantee a high living standard and development as important basic for a better future. And it is still up to people what they do with it both in good as in bad, as they are responsible for the consequences for themselves!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending