The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Applying to Plymouth for medicine

I currently live next to Manchester so travelling to Plymouth takes like 6 hours by car. However, due to certain GCSEs & current entry requirements, the amount of med schools that I can apply to are quite limited & so Plymouth will maybe have to be one of my options.

Should I bother applying to one so far away from home? I never get homesick but I’m worried if I go there I will gradually end up missing home too much.
Also would they be more likely to accept more students who live in the south over students who live further away?

Thanks guys~
I wouldn't have thought they would be biased by location. It is obviously a long way between Manchester and Plymouth but you could also travel by train or potentially fly via Exeter, so there are options!
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Original post by a.m150
I currently live next to Manchester so travelling to Plymouth takes like 6 hours by car. However, due to certain GCSEs & current entry requirements, the amount of med schools that I can apply to are quite limited & so Plymouth will maybe have to be one of my options.

Should I bother applying to one so far away from home? I never get homesick but I’m worried if I go there I will gradually end up missing home too much.
Also would they be more likely to accept more students who live in the south over students who live further away?

Thanks guys~

Hi a.m150

First of all, that's definitely not the case! :smile: We don't favour any location over the other so coming from the North will have no impact whatsoever :smile:

If you are considering Plymouth as a University choice, you should definitely visit us on one of our Open Days. The benefits are huge - you get to visit the city, meet current students + academics, ask questions and find out a lot more about the University. We have really good connections to London and while it is a bit of a pain to commute to-and-from home, a lot of our students really thrive in this environment. As SarcAndSpark said, train travel and air travel is a potential. I've known people to fly from Manchester so this isn't too alien a concept.

We do have students who come from far away, and they have written about their experiences. We have a blogging site which helps potential applicants learn more about Uni and the student experience in general.

Ankitha writes about being an International student coming from India: http://www.mylifewithplym.com/ankithas-blog/2018/4/29/-international-student-applications- Melanie came from London: http://www.mylifewithplym.com/melanies-blog/2016/10/12/the-first-few-weeks-at-plymouth
Marcus came from Kuwait: http://www.mylifewithplym.com/marcusr-blog/2018/10/19/-a-journey-into-a-world-of-architecture-

I hope this helps - if you have any further questions, please do let me know!

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending