The Student Room Group

Can you still get an unconditional offer even if you're re-sitting an A-level?

Disclaimer: I am not saying I am expecting or deserving of an unconditional offer.

I am re-sitting A-level English language to improve my original grade of a C (mitigating circumstances last year). I'm applying for psychology courses to attend Uni in 2019. This may be a stupid question lol but is it still possible for Universities to give me an unconditional offer even though I am re-sitting an A-level? 4 out of my 5 choices are Russell Groups.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by deanna.jade_
I am re-sitting A-level English language to improve my original grade of a C. I'm applying for psychology courses to attend Uni in 2019. This may be a stupid question lol but is it still possible for Universities to give me an unconditional offer even though I am re-sitting an A-level?

Unfortunately so, particularly for courses like psychology.
Original post by Reality Check
Unfortunately so, particularly for courses like psychology.

Why 'unfortunately so'? Surely if you get an unconditional offer it is deserved?
Why 'unfortunately so'? Surely if you get an unconditional offer it is deserved?

Often it's nothing to do with merit - it's getting bums on seats. If you're offered an unconditional place subject to it being your 'firm' offer, then a lot of people find that irresistible, even when there's much better places they could have gone to who will only offer conditionally. Some crappy universities can be quite irresponsible with their unconditional offers.

Note - I'm not saying this is what you will do. In your case, given you've got to resit an A level due to mitigating circumstances, the chances of an unconditional offer from a good university is extremely unlikely - after all, there'd be no point in your resting the A level if universities were just going to offer you an unconditional anyway!
Often it's nothing to do with merit - it's getting bums on seats. If you're offered an unconditional place subject to it being your 'firm' offer, then a lot of people find that irresistible, even when there's much better places they could have gone to who will only offer conditionally. Some crappy universities can be quite irresponsible with their unconditional offers.

Note - I'm not saying this is what you will do. In your case, given you've got to resit an A level due to mitigating circumstances, the chances of an unconditional offer from a good university is extremely unlikely - after all, there'd be no point in your resting the A level if universities were just going to offer you an unconditional anyway!

Ah, yes I see what you mean now. Sometimes that is the case. Last year particularly there seemed to be an issue with too many unconditional offers being given to students, with them becoming complacent as a result..
(edited 5 years ago)
Ah, yes I see what you mean now. Sometimes that is the case. Last year particularly there seemed to be an issue with too many unconditional offers being given to students, with them becoming complacent as a result..

That's it, exactly. But I reiterate, this isn't going to be a problem with you, I"m sure. If you're motivated enough to retake an A level after mitigating circumstances, then you are by definition not the sort of person just to 'give up' with things when they get difficult :smile:
That's it, exactly. But I reiterate, this isn't going to be a problem with you, I"m sure. If you're motivated enough to retake an A level after mitigating circumstances, then you are by definition not the sort of person just to 'give up' with things when they get difficult :smile:

Ah, thank you so much - such kind words! I was actually in hospital really unwell before I took my exams/during coursework deadlines so I'm glad I even got a C in the first place! I managed to get A's in my sciences, too!:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Ah, thank you so much - such kind words! I was actually in hospital really unwell before I took my exams/during coursework deadlines so I'm glad I even got a C in the first place! I managed to get A's in my sciences, too!:smile:

You're welcome. And that's a very good sign, I think! Best of luck with the retake. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest