The Student Room Group

Writing Essays, Referencing, Citing, So Worried :(

Okay so, I've literally started University today and have had my first lecture. I'm currently writing up my notes from today and noticed my lecturer hasn't said where she has got her sources from. I don't know whether to write up the studies she's mentioned as I don't know where they're from. Also, I'm very worried about unintentional plagiarism. I can't actually understand how I won't just be writing essays that are full of everyone else's ideas. It seems like I'll just be stating other studies and findings? To sum up, I am very confused as to what I should actually be doing regarding my notes, they seem to be copying what the lecturer said.
Reply 1
Original post by blinkedkiwi
Okay so, I've literally started University today and have had my first lecture. I'm currently writing up my notes from today and noticed my lecturer hasn't said where she has got her sources from. I don't know whether to write up the studies she's mentioned as I don't know where they're from. Also, I'm very worried about unintentional plagiarism. I can't actually understand how I won't just be writing essays that are full of everyone else's ideas. It seems like I'll just be stating other studies and findings? To sum up, I am very confused as to what I should actually be doing regarding my notes, they seem to be copying what the lecturer said.

E-mail the lecturer and ask for her sources, she's not doing a great job if she hasnt' put them in there!

And yes, essays in psychology are full of everyone else's ideas - but referenced correctly. However, what makes a first class essay is the critical thought you put into when writing about those ideas. In your opinion, how strong are the studies? What are the weaknesses? How strong are the theories? What kind of research needs to be done to further our understanding in the field? That's where your thought comes in.

Private message me if you need further help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest