The Student Room Group

Drug use: Is Sheffield Students' Union right to offer advice?

Sheffield Students' Union has been publishing advice on how to take illegal drugs safely.

But should universities instead be focusing on stopping students taking drugs in the first place?

The guidance provided by Sheffield Students' Union - such as how to take safe dosages and how much water to drink - comes from the Loop, an external organisation which runs initiatives to reduce the harm caused by drugs.

The union's welfare officer Katharine Swindells denies the approach is normalising or promoting drug use.

Read the full article here
Reply 1
I doubt they will take responsibility if a kid ODs at their union on a night out.
Reply 2
This is like that sex workers support stall story.

But here we have a parallel from high school that everyone can empathise with. Is sex education better if it's just abstinence (we're taught this way below the age of consent), or with actual real advice on safety?
People are going to take drugs regardless. It's already illegal and that doesn't deter people, what is the university going to do? At the very least we can reduce the harm and death and injury caused by them (which is really the only reason they're bad anyway)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Manchester uni are offering a "test your drugs" service for £25, so that you know what you're taking.

Source
(edited 5 years ago)
People will take drugs anyway, but this does not seem a sensible solution.
Original post by Frigateer
People are going to take drugs regardless. It's already illegal and that doesn't deter people, what is the university going to do? At the very least we can reduce the harm and death and injury caused by them (which is really the only reason they're bad anyway)

I agree with this. People will take drugs and keeping it completely underground presents more of an issue because people aren't educated..... I don't think by Sheffield providing guidance they are normalising, they are just recognising that it's happening and trying to do something within the realms of what is actually possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending