The Student Room Group

uni choices for psychology

heyy, i'm gonna be going to uni this september and was wondering which uni is best for psychology. I've applied to bath, loughborough, sheffield, southampton and surrey. I've been accepted from all but bath, but wanted to ask which two i should pick for my firm and insureance.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by giselledias08
heyy, i'm gonna be going to uni this september and was wondering which uni is best for psychology. I've applied to bath, loughborough, sheffield, southampton and surrey. I've been accepted at the last 3, still waiting on bath and loughborough. but wanted to ask which two i should pick for my firm and insureance.

Every one will have their own opinions, depending on what they're looking for in a university. Have you had the opportunity to attend any of the open days? Which did you prefer?

(It's also a tad soon to be thinking of firm / insurance decisions, given that you've still to hear from two of your five options.)
Just about all psychology courses are BPS accredited. Go to whichever university you like and you will not be disadvantaged.
heyy, i'm gonna be going to uni this september and was wondering which uni is best for psychology. I've applied to bath, loughborough, sheffield, southampton and surrey. I've been accepted at the last 3, still waiting on bath and loughborough. but wanted to ask which two i should pick for my firm and insureance.

Hi @giselledias08 ,

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

I study Psychology at Loughborough so may be able to help you out 🙂

The rankings for Psychology at Loughborough are high. Personally, I enjoy the course at Loughborough as there are a variety of modules so you get the opportunity to learn different aspects of Psychology. You can also choose some optional modules, so you can tailor the course to be what you want. If you haven't already, I would take a look at what modules are offered to see if they interest you. They can be found on the course page here- scroll down to 'What you'll Study'. I found it useful to compare what the other Universities I was considering offered to see what might suit me best.

If you are considering doing a placement/year abroad Loughborough is great as they offer so much support in searching and securing a placement/year abroad. I found this particularly helpful.

Some insight into Loughborough in general. Loughborough is very much a student town and as you are on a campus it has such a strong community feel. I personally love the fact that everything is in one place. During the week most social events happens on campus through the Student Union. For example there tend to be 2 nights out in the week (Wednesday and Friday) and events during the day which differ week to week. Take a look at our student union website for more insight here. At the weekends more seems to happen off campus. In town (which is walking distance from campus) there are multiple pubs, bars, restaurants and nightclubs which tend to be full of students at the weekend.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please do ask 🙂

Alex

Hi Giselle,

The best way to find out which university would be more suited for you is to visit the open days. As well as studying this course for the next three years, you may also be living in a new city for the next three years so it is important that you get a good feel in the city as well. I remember visiting a few universities I had been accepted for but after visiting the city, I was no longer interested in some of the options.

Sheffield has several open days and online talks which you can find out more about here.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit

Sheffield has a lower average cost of living compared to the national cost of living which can really help on a student's budget as I find myself spending a lot less on essentials compared to friends at other universities. I also really enjoy the aspect of city and countryside as it has a good balance of both and is not quite as fast paced as a big city. However, overall it comes to down to personal opinion so I would really recommend visiting the cities.

Hope that helps and please let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Jivanthika
Reply 5
Forget the course, you need to go where you think you will be happiest. Check out the university and the city as you'll be living there for at least 3 years, possibly more. Quite a lot of students end up in working in the same city where they studied.

Hi! I'm glad to hear that you've had some acceptances, that's amazing news 🙂
In terms of which universities you should place as firm or insurance, I can't give direct advice but I have a few recommendations. Firstly, you should base your decision on where you think you would be happiest! Rankings are important, but it is equally as important that you can visualise yourself living and studying there. Also, make sure that your insurance choice has a low enough grade entry that you won't have to worry about clearing.
Best of luck with the future!
-Kat (2nd year psychology student at Lancaster University)

Hi there!

I'm happy to hear you got accepted at Surrey =)

As a leading research-led university, I'm sure you'll find the course positively challenging.

As others have mentioned in their replies to you, your satisfaction with the course and location weighs heavily when doing a degree, not only the university itself. Surrey ranks highly when it comes to student satisfaction, and comes in at 11th place by student satisfaction alone in the Complete University Guide 2024 table, as well as 13th place overall in the UK.

Surrey is a 30-min train journey to central London, which can provide you with great work opportunities. Guildford is also a lovely town to live in, and will offer you everything you need as a student.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any further questions!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest