The Student Room Group

University Application for Mechanical Engineering/Aerospace Engineering - help?

I am in my first year of A levels (Maths Physics DT). I am looking at universities but dont think I could get into Southampton or any of the Russell Group ones for Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering as alot require A*AA. I am looking at the next tier down - which are better out of the next tier? Im looking at Sussex or Coventry? Would love Loughborough but again high grades required although could do Beng with AAB. The other question is : is it better to do a Beng at a Uni that is higher up the league tables for engineering or a Meng at a Uni not so high up or Russell Group. I am also interested in motorsport engineering- which would you say is the best one to go for?

Thank you
What grades do you think you'll get? That would help us give some more suggestions

For universities with relatively low requirements but that are well respected in engineering and particularly aero and motorsport, I would also look at Oxford Brookes, Swansea, and UWE. Don't worry about RG for engineering, e.g. Bath and Surrey are two non-RG unis with very good reputations in engineering. Even at postgraduate research level, which is where the RG part should actually be relevant, it's not too useful as e.g. Strathclyde isn't RG but is one of the places to be in the world for Wind Energy research, or UWE shares the Bristol Robotics lab which is another world leading institution.

I also wouldn't pay too much attention to the MEng/BEng grade requirements if they're different, just pick the BEng and then transfer to the MEng after you've met the grade requirement for switching (usually 2.1 in your first two years, though some will ask for lower e.g. Sheffield only needs 54.5%).
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your reply. That is really useful. I havent got predicted grades yet but I would hope ABB - I would like Loughborough but thats AAB. Would you say Coventry over Sussex? Or would you say they are similar in how they are respected in the Engineering world. I guess Im trying to get to the best place I can. I will definitely look at UWE (hadnt thought of that one!)

Thanks
Original post by montydog
Thank you so much for your reply. That is really useful. I havent got predicted grades yet but I would hope ABB - I would like Loughborough but thats AAB. Would you say Coventry over Sussex? Or would you say they are similar in how they are respected in the Engineering world. I guess Im trying to get to the best place I can. I will definitely look at UWE (hadnt thought of that one!)

Thanks

I think Coventry has the better reputation, certainly in the automotive world it does. Though that said, Sussex wasn't that far behind in last year's formula student.
Original post by montydog

Thanks

Hi @montydog,

Great to hear you might consider UWE Bristol as an option!

@Helloworld_95 is right - we do have the Bristol Robotics Lab on our campus, which is something we are very proud of. Not far from the robotics lab, we have just begun work on our brand new, state-of-the-art Engineering building, which will be ready by the time you're ready to head off to university! This looks like it's going to be absolutely amazing - take a sneak peek here:

Please let us know if you have any questions about studying at UWE Bristol!

Best wishes,

Lois

Quick Reply

Latest