The Student Room Group

Are short journeys bad for cars?

I'm contemplating getting a car however, my concern is that a lot of journeys will be fairly short i.e no more than an hour or two with potential a lot of start and stopping (london). Anyone know a fair bit about cars that can advise me on the implications of doing mainly short journeys?
A lot of stopping and starting will cause wear and tear on the car of course, but that's all part of the parcel, just means you might have to spend a bit more on maintenance. Millions of people own cars and do "town driving" daily whilst hardly using motorways.
Original post by chosenone93
I'm contemplating getting a car however, my concern is that a lot of journeys will be fairly short i.e no more than an hour or two with potential a lot of start and stopping (london). Anyone know a fair bit about cars that can advise me on the implications of doing mainly short journeys?

An 'hour or two' isn't a 'short journey'. A short journey is popping down to the shops and back - a five-minute journey, as old people tend to do. The problem with these sort of journeys is that the engine never properly reaches its operating temperature and premature wear is caused (the greatest wear is caused in the engine when it's first started and run, when it's cold).

Your question isn't really an issue because of this. The stop-start stuff - that's just London driving. If it were a problem, then there wouldn't be any cars on the road within the M25 because they would have all suffered the same problems.

If you're worried about wear and tear, then make sure you change the oil every 8,000-10,000 miles (and ignore 'extended service' intervals of 20,000 miles) and keep up with the maintenance schedule. Also, don't 'warm the car up' by idling it in the winter, but just drive straight off, but obviously don't drive it harshly whilst it's still cold.
(edited 5 years ago)
In London you should use public transport.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
A lot of stopping and starting will cause wear and tear on the car of course, but that's all part of the parcel, just means you might have to spend a bit more on maintenance. Millions of people own cars and do "town driving" daily whilst hardly using motorways.

My main concern is in terms of the engine not warming up properly and the damage it can do to exhausts from what I've read online.

Original post by Reality Check
An 'hour or two' isn't a 'short journey'. A short journey is popping down to the shops and back - a five-minute journey, as old people tend to do. The problem with these sort of journeys is that the engine never properly reaches its operating temperature and premature wear is caused (the greatest wear is caused in the engine when it's first started and run, when it's cold).

Your question isn't really an issue because of this. The stop-start stuff - that's just London driving. If it were a problem, then there wouldn't be any cars on the road within the M25 because they would have all suffered the same problems.

If you're worried about wear and tear, then make sure you change the oil every 8,000-10,000 miles (and ignore 'extended service' intervals of 20,000 miles) and keep up with the maintenance schedule. Also, don't 'warm the car up' by idling it in the winter, but just drive straight off, but obviously don't drive it harshly whilst it's still cold.

The hour or two would probably be on a very good day but not necessarily the norm, i've heard frequent short journeys could be detrimental to the car.
Depends if it's a petrol or diesel engine. Diesel engines need regular long journeys to clear the diesel particulate filter. For petrol engines, it's not such a big deal, but you'll still see poorer fuel economy
Original post by chosenone93

If the car gets to heat up during the journey then it's fine. For city driving go for a petrol, you'll end up killing off a diesel with short journeys.
Short journeys? Get an electric car and there would be no issues.

However, if you have to buy a petrol then it is good thing it is no longer the 1970s or 1980s, cars are much better built with better tolerances and while it will still be subjected to heavier wear and tear it is nothing a change of a clutch or if it is London you might want to buy an automatic, in which case just change the fluid and filter more frequently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending