The Student Room Group

I'm unhappy

So I recently started college and I'm enjoying it so much more than high school which was a nightmare for me. However, I'm having a lot of issues all at once so I thought I'd blurt them all out here as no one else cares to listen.

I'm not sure I've chosen the right subjects. I picked biology, chemistry and geography for a-level and chemistry was the only one I was sure I wanted to do (and still am). It's not that I don't like biology or geography I'm just having serious doubts about them. My main problem with biology is that I struggle to think about illnesses, viruses, bacteria etc. without feeling lightheaded and on occasion fainting; I know these are pretty significant parts of the course and I don't know how to cope with this or talk about it with anyone because I always used to pretend it was because the room was too hot, I know this is a psychological problem/association but it's just not getting any better. My problem with geography is that it was a subject I struggled with at gcse and was unsure about taking but my grandad, who recently passed, wanted me to and I didn't have the heart to change it. But it's too late for me to make any changes now so I guess I'm stuck.

I have 'always' wanted to become a vet and family members will always bring it up however I'm really uncertain whether I actually do or if I'm just too anxious to say otherwise. This is mainly because of the talking about illness induced fainting and anxiety and although I've done work experience in a vets and seen surgery and consultations that I was fine with I'm just not sure it's the right thing for me. So this is another reason I'm not confident in my subject choices.

I'm struggling to make friends because I find it very difficult to start conversations with people I don't know or in groups and find myself sat there in silence as if I've been muted and I can't do anything to stop it, it's killing me.

I've become so much more insecure about my body especially my face and my nose and every time I hear someone whispering or laughing I think it's about me and I didn't want to end up back at this point. I want to get a nose job and honestly just a new face because no one will ever like me as I am and I can't be happy or confident looking like this.

Reply 1
Original post by anononyaboi
So I recently started college and I'm enjoying it so much more than high school which was a nightmare for me. However, I'm having a lot of issues all at once so I thought I'd blurt them all out here as no one else cares to listen.

I'm not sure I've chosen the right subjects. I picked biology, chemistry and geography for a-level and chemistry was the only one I was sure I wanted to do (and still am). It's not that I don't like biology or geography I'm just having serious doubts about them. My main problem with biology is that I struggle to think about illnesses, viruses, bacteria etc. without feeling lightheaded and on occasion fainting; I know these are pretty significant parts of the course and I don't know how to cope with this or talk about it with anyone because I always used to pretend it was because the room was too hot, I know this is a psychological problem/association but it's just not getting any better. My problem with geography is that it was a subject I struggled with at gcse and was unsure about taking but my grandad, who recently passed, wanted me to and I didn't have the heart to change it. But it's too late for me to make any changes now so I guess I'm stuck.

I have 'always' wanted to become a vet and family members will always bring it up however I'm really uncertain whether I actually do or if I'm just too anxious to say otherwise. This is mainly because of the talking about illness induced fainting and anxiety and although I've done work experience in a vets and seen surgery and consultations that I was fine with I'm just not sure it's the right thing for me. So this is another reason I'm not confident in my subject choices.

I'm struggling to make friends because I find it very difficult to start conversations with people I don't know or in groups and find myself sat there in silence as if I've been muted and I can't do anything to stop it, it's killing me.

I've become so much more insecure about my body especially my face and my nose and every time I hear someone whispering or laughing I think it's about me and I didn't want to end up back at this point. I want to get a nose job and honestly just a new face because no one will ever like me as I am and I can't be happy or confident looking like this.

I would talk to your teachers about your subjects. I would also tell your parents if you feel comfortable about your anxiety, and regardless of whether you're able to talk to them go to your GP. It sounds like your anxiety is having a substantial affect on your life.

One last thing of note, if you no longer want to be a vet, don't be a vet. The same goes for studying geography. You don't have to do things to please others. Please yourself first and foremost, you have to live your life, they don't. Do what makes you happy.

Take care OP.
Original post by Pathway
I would talk to your teachers about your subjects. I would also tell your parents if you feel comfortable about your anxiety, and regardless of whether you're able to talk to them go to your GP. It sounds like your anxiety is having a substantial affect on your life.

One last thing of note, if you no longer want to be a vet, don't be a vet. The same goes for studying geography. You don't have to do things to please others. Please yourself first and foremost, you have to live your life, they don't. Do what makes you happy.

Take care OP.

thank you i will x
just be happy then
Reply 4
Original post by anononyaboi

You are just shy and awkward, most of kids are like you. People don't care what you look like. People won't like you for your pretty face. It does not work that way. They will remember a good vet that fixed their cat. People will remember you for being good at what you do, that you cared.

Prepare yourself a couple of "elevator pitches" and now and then, throw them at random people to see what is going to happen. Honestly, what is the worst thing that can happen? An unknown person you never will never see again isn't going to like you? "horror" :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest