The Student Room Group

is it worth transferring?

The uni i'm currently at is fine, I like the course but the social life here is making me miserable and I don't like the location.I feel like whenever I'm back in my home city im 10x happier and here I always feel unmotivated and in the dumps.
I'm considering transferring to the uni connected to my college in my home city which I adored, but I don't know if it's worth it.
Original post by lovezeppeli
The uni i'm currently at is fine, I like the course but the social life here is making me miserable and I don't like the location.I feel like whenever I'm back in my home city im 10x happier and here I always feel unmotivated and in the dumps.
I'm considering transferring to the uni connected to my college in my home city which I adored, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Hi @lovezeppeli,

I'm sorry to hear that there are some aspects of university you aren't enjoying.

I feel like you've answered this question for yourself here - is it worth sticking out the next few years and paying the amount you are if the social life is making you miserable and you don't like the location? Of course, the main point of attending university is for the course, but if you can find this elsewhere it wouldn't hurt to look.

I'd definitely recommend you book a meeting with your personal academic tutor and other members of staff/services so you can talk through your concerns, needs and wants, and create an action plan!

I hope this helps,
Isabella 🙂

Hi @lovezeppeli ,

I would say that your happiness is priority so definitely do what makes you happy! If you aren't motivated in the city you are in and you aren't feeling great then I think it is worth looking at transferring. The happier and more at home you feel, the better you are likely to do in your course.

If you haven't already, I'd say have a good look into the course in your home city and check the modules and assessment type is what you are looking for and if it is I would say it seems like a good idea.

You don't want to pay for at least another two years of uni if you are really unhappy as it is not worth it! Even if the course is in your home city, you could still live in accommodation or a house share if this is something that you still want to do, so don't let this put you off.

Good luck and I hope this helps,
Lucy-SHU student ambassador

Hi @lovezeppeli

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with university at the moment; it is definitely a relatable situation!

Like other reps have mentioned here, you need to put yourself first as that is the main priority; feeling unhappy at uni can obviously affect your academic progress and we all want to do well. I would definitely recommend speaking to your academics or any well-being support available at your university to explore your options before you make any rash decisions. I think you already know what you want to do, but there is no harm in talking it out to someone who can offer unbiased guidance.

I hope this helps. Good luck with everything! :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending