The Student Room Group

Getting a Job in the UK with a foreign degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ajj2000
Business graduates don't have a notably high rate of unemployment, or low average salaries. Its hardly a bad degree to go job hunting with.

Unis often advertise something like "90% of our graduates find job in 6 months" or something like that. Which is normal for any person with a degree or without, but what they skip is that you won't find a job relevant to your qualification. McDonald's Team leader, receptionist and the evergreen, call-centres.
Original post by emmataco
because employers wont hire people with out a right to work ?

OP, your girlfriend will not get a place on a graduate scheme. They are very competitive but she will be able to get a just not a graduate scheme.

Thailand isnt really known for its reputable universities

false, at prestigious UK universities, business is a mixture of accounting and finance with varying levels of marketing and management theory.
University graduates from most developing countries have an education level equal to that of a foundation year

Why are you quoting me?
Employers wont or shouldnt hire people without a right to work.
Original post by BFG9000
Unis often advertise something like "90% of our graduates find job in 6 months" or something like that. Which is normal for any person with a degree or without, but what they skip is that you won't find a job relevant to your qualification. McDonald's Team leader, receptionist and the evergreen, call-centres.

I ignore university stats - they never ring true. I have more faith the HMRC data by degree by university as it uses verifiable data and you can see the salary levels by quartile.

false, at prestigious UK universities, business is a mixture of accounting and finance with varying levels of marketing and management theory.
University graduates from most developing countries have an education level equal to that of a foundation year

Undergraduate degree in the "Business" won't land you a job in accounting, you need to be chartered AAT/CLEP or something equivalent, same with Finance. Business degree is good if you have a family business apart of that it is quite useless.
Unless you got degree from Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE or similar your degree comes with zero prestige. It might likely come ,with a hefty dose of scepticism. Because let's say the University of Leicester might have TEF Gold standard, all STEM degrees chartered but none of it means anything abroad. Most of the potential recruiters cannot even pronounce Leicester, those who knows, know only because of a cheese called Leicester.
Lots of degrees in the UK are UK specific and their owners got issues abroad,
Original post by ajj2000
I ignore university stats - they never ring true. I have more faith the HMRC data by degree by university as it uses verifiable data and you can see the salary levels by quartile.

But it won't tell you what they actually do for living..
Original post by BFG9000
Undergraduate degree in the "Business" won't land you a job in accounting, you need to be chartered AAT/CLEP or something equivalent, same with Finance. Business degree is good if you have a family business apart of that it is quite useless.
Unless you got degree from Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE or similar your degree comes with zero prestige.

Lots of people with business degrees enter accounting grad schemes. The ICAEW website shows that 32% of graduates trainees had degrees in business/ management - more than accounting and finance (21%).
Original post by BFG9000
But it won't tell you what they actually do for living..

No - but it shows the salary levels by quartile, so you can pretty much see which degrees have graduates stuck at McDonalds. What do you study? Is it vastly more employable?
Original post by ajj2000
No - but it shows the salary levels by quartile, so you can pretty much see which degrees have graduates stuck at McDonalds. What do you study? Is it vastly more employable?

Electronics in Prague and later on Systems Engineering in London. I have done lots of certificates in IT (CREST/OSCP,OSCE, ISO...) in my spare time. Everyone I met secured their jobs way before graduation.
I am part of a hiring committee, I read lots of CVs attend panel interviews... Degree in Business is like degree in Literature. It usually requires a bit of nepotism to get a job with something like that.
With a degree in Business Management/ Studies... you get into company as admin, xerox operator, office assistant of some sort. And if I get to chose between a chartered accountant or random bloke with a Business degree, I will pick the accountant even if she/he done their degree online trough OU because it's better than having nothing/business degree.
But if I see CV without a degree but with 6Sigma Green Belt, MS Dynamics cert, QPulse, Prince2 or MAttec and lets say 2 years of experience in a production office, you win and you get paid more.
Degree is only relevant if the subject has some sort of a value on it's own.
Original post by ajj2000
Lots of people with business degrees enter accounting grad schemes. The ICAEW website shows that 32% of graduates trainees had degrees in business/ management - more than accounting and finance (21%).

This is why you are better off by just going with a degree in Accounting.
Original post by BFG9000

I am part of a hiring committee, I read lots of CVs attend panel interviews... Degree in Business is like degree in Literature. It usually requires a bit of nepotism to get a job with something like that.
With a degree in Business Management/ Studies... you get into company as admin, xerox operator, office assistant of some sort. And if I get to chose between a chartered accountant or random bloke with a Business degree, I will pick the accountant even if she/he done their degree online trough OU because it's better than having nothing/business degree.

I don't think you are understanding me. Business graduates are pretty successful at getting onto grad schemes. You don't generally take a specific degree to become a chartered accounting (in the UK) - and lots of business graduates get training contracts with the big accounting firms and go on to become CAs. Likewise many go into marketing, HR etc and get professional qualifications.

Things might be different in Prague but experience in the UK suggests business graduate do pretty well in their careers.
Original post by BFG9000
This is why you are better off by just going with a degree in Accounting.

It neither implies that nor suggests the contrary. About a third of trainee Chartered Accountants have business degrees. Doesn't look as if their employers don't value that degree does it?
l
Original post by ajj2000
I don't think you are understanding me. Business graduates are pretty successful at getting onto grad schemes. You don't generally take a specific degree to become a chartered accounting (in the UK) - and lots of business graduates get training contracts with the big accounting firms and go on to become CAs. Likewise many go into marketing, HR etc and get professional qualifications.

Things might be different in Prague but experience in the UK suggests business graduate do pretty well in their careers.

I live in the UK for about 12 years now.
After doing some kind of grad-scheme, which is essentially an apprenticeship, then sure. You will get a decent job and pay but most likely you can get into that scheme with a degree in Applied Maths or Chemical Engineering, this would make you way more interesting for potential employers. But if you just walk into to a company with a degree in something so generic as BA in Business you have nothing to bargain with.
You can always do MBA later on... Companies tend to pay for it...
Original post by BFG9000
l

I live in the UK for about 12 years now.
After doing some kind of grad-scheme, which is essentially an apprenticeship, then sure. You will get a decent job and pay but most likely you can get into that scheme with a degree in Applied Maths or Chemical Engineering, this would make you way more interesting for potential employers. But if you just walk into to a company with a degree in something so generic as BA in Business you have nothing to bargain with.
You can always do MBA later on... Companies tend to pay for it...

I agreee that maths / engineering have more value added - but outside of a few top universities where the science students are a different order of ability to the norm career outcomes between business degrees and most STEM degrees are pretty small/ non existent.
Original post by ajj2000
It neither implies that nor suggests the contrary. About a third of trainee Chartered Accountants have business degrees. Doesn't look as if their employers don't value that degree does it?

Because they had to. Unless you want to spend your life by mailing stuff or changing toners, you need another degree. Because you are not bringing anything to the table. You are just some dude that knows how to forward emails. You will always be better off going for some sort of trade first and top it up later on with MBA.
Original post by ajj2000
I agreee that maths / engineering have more value added - but outside of a few top universities where the science students are a different order of ability to the norm career outcomes between business degrees and most STEM degrees are pretty small/ non existent.

There is much of a difference between candidates from different universities.
Most of companies pay for CVs or lists of potential candidates. Usually, you don't get to see the original CV. I can see something like "UG Software Engineering", "UGc (chartered) Project Management", "PGc Process Automation", etc.
"Top University" does not mean much unless you spent there 12 years, got Ph.D, done some post doc and you are the actual expert in your field. It means very little.
Reply 35
Original post by BFG9000
Most of the British unis can barely compete with secondary schools in other countries. Thai Universities aren't bad. The problem is that you have studied "Business" which is quite useless on its own. Even if you got a degree in Business from Uni of London, you would be pretty much unemployable.

Where to start so I'll just go with: this is utter *******s, and Uni of London?

Original post by BFG9000
Unless you got degree from Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE or similar your degree comes with zero prestige. It might likely come ,with a hefty dose of scepticism. Because let's say the University of Leicester might have TEF Gold standard, all STEM degrees chartered but none of it means anything abroad. Most of the potential recruiters cannot even pronounce Leicester, those who knows, know only because of a cheese called Leicester.
Lots of degrees in the UK are UK specific and their owners got issues abroad,

More *******s. (Also, Leiciester has a Silver - you're really not very good at this.)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 36
because employers wont hire people with out a right to work ?

They have a British passport - no "right to work" is required.
Original post by Doonesbury
Where to start so I'll just go with: this is utter *******s, and Uni of London?

Agencies rarely forward the college name to you, so it's not UCL, KCL, BBK, etc you get to see "UG Business, UoL". And once you make it to the short list and we pay for more details, or you get invited for an interview
it does not matter anymore.
Reply 38
Original post by BFG9000
But if I see CV without a degree but with 6Sigma Green Belt, MS Dynamics cert, QPulse, Prince2 or MAttec and lets say 2 years of experience in a production office, you win and you get paid more.
Degree is only relevant if the subject has some sort of a value on it's own.

We are talking about grad schemes here. :facepalm:

And not necessarily in IT...
Original post by Doonesbury
We are talking about grad schemes here. :facepalm:

And not necessarily in IT...

has to be a troll?

OP, sorry your thread has been derailed. Which region of the UK is your friend thinking about working in? What type of work is she interested in? Which languages does she speak? Any useful ones? Or interesting talents/ hobbies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending