The Student Room Group

Applying for midwifery at uni

How difficult is it to get into a midwifery course at uni? I would love to do midwifery, I am predicted ABB (psychology, sociology and welsh baccalaureate) however I don’t have much relevant experience to put on my personal statement apart from possible work experience at my local hospital. I’ve heard it can be difficult to get into midwifery and seeing as I haven’t got much experience and I don’t do biology (did it at AS, got an E so I dropped it) and I was originally planning on doing psychology I was worrying I might not get in and whether it would just be safer to take psychology
Original post by emilylgr
How difficult is it to get into a midwifery course at uni? I would love to do midwifery, I am predicted ABB (psychology, sociology and welsh baccalaureate) however I don’t have much relevant experience to put on my personal statement apart from possible work experience at my local hospital. I’ve heard it can be difficult to get into midwifery and seeing as I haven’t got much experience and I don’t do biology (did it at AS, got an E so I dropped it) and I was originally planning on doing psychology I was worrying I might not get in and whether it would just be safer to take psychology

Hi @emilylgr

Do you know which universities you would like to apply with for Midwifery? If you do I can certainly take a look at their entry requirements to see how likely it is you will be accepted with your subjects.

A lot of midwifery courses are going to ask for a science like biology or chemistry so your options may be limited.You may need to do a foundation year of sciences before progressing onto the full degree in midwifery.

Hope to hear back from you so we can look into this further!

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 2
Hi Sophie, thanks for your reply! I really like the look of the midwifery course in cardiff, this one looks the best out of all I’ve looked at ☺️. They ask for ABB, and psychology counts as the science subject there (I got an A in AS psychology). They also take welsh baccalaureate as another a level which is good. The only this is I don’t have much/little to no experience-I live in a rural area of wales where the maternity services are difficult to access and a lot of it has been closed down. I’m hoping to get in touch with a midwife soon and possibly shadow her but apart from that I don’t have many other extra curricular things
Not all universities require a science for midwifery - my first choice uni only requires a certain amount of UCAS points. However it would be advantageous to have a science. Some universities do class psychology as a science BTW. I think it would be best to look at individual uni entry requirements and send an email to clarify further what they want if needed.

As for experience - it is quite difficult to gain experience relating to midwifery and the universities will know this. I think any healthcare setting would be a plus, but keep trying in the meantime.
Reply 4
Original post by jlovesmusic
Not all universities require a science for midwifery - my first choice uni only requires a certain amount of UCAS points. However it would be advantageous to have a science. Some universities do class psychology as a science BTW. I think it would be best to look at individual uni entry requirements and send an email to clarify further what they want if needed.

As for experience - it is quite difficult to gain experience relating to midwifery and the universities will know this. I think any healthcare setting would be a plus, but keep trying in the meantime.

Okay that’s pretty good, I live somewhere with hardly any health services and it’s really difficult to get any experience anywhere 😆. I’ve done work experience in a primary school, done English coaching (experience with working one to one), and I’ve also done volunteering in a drop in centre for the mental health charity mind. Could that count as healthcare setting, as it was providing care and helping people with mental health issues and disabilities?
Okay that’s pretty good, I live somewhere with hardly any health services and it’s really difficult to get any experience anywhere 😆. I’ve done work experience in a primary school, done English coaching (experience with working one to one), and I’ve also done volunteering in a drop in centre for the mental health charity mind. Could that count as healthcare setting, as it was providing care and helping people with mental health issues and disabilities?

Sounds fine, obviously just try and relate whatever you have done/learnt from your work experience to that of the role/requirements of a midwife. :smile:

Hey yes that would count! :smile: good luck, where else are you applying too? Z
Reply 7
Original post by Lilybrown92
Hey yes that would count! :smile: good luck, where else are you applying too? Z

Thank you! Possibly bristol uwe, manchester, Leicester, Birmingham city I think... although might have to think of something else instead of Manchester and bristol uwe, they might be too high for me lol
I have applied for uwe and have a interview and it’s my first choice so I’m so happy 😀 I do think they do more rounds of interviews so good luck! Iv heard Birmingham is a really good uni for midwifery!
Reply 9
Oh gosh, I haven’t even started my personal statement yet! I’m a bit worried if they’ve already started giving interviews, places go fast 😟 good luck on your interview, let me know how it goes! It would be so cool if we both ended up going there lol it looks amazing
Oh gosh, I haven’t even started my personal statement yet! I’m a bit worried if they’ve already started giving interviews, places go fast 😟 good luck on your interview, let me know how it goes! It would be so cool if we both ended up going there lol it looks amazing

As long as you submit before January deadline you will be fine, they stagger out offers so everyone will be considered and have chance for a place. :smile:

The deadline is January so you have loads of time! Plus they do interviews in April too I think! Uwe is very popular as it’s one of the best I think!
Reply 12
What sort of things did you put on your personal statement? I’m so stuck, haven’t got a clue about what to write!
What sort of things did you put on your personal statement? I’m so stuck, haven’t got a clue about what to write

Will your tutor not help you?
Talk about why you want to be a midwife and why you think you’d be good at the Role.

have you been to any open days yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending