The Student Room Group

What happens if you don’t meet university entry requirements?

I did so poorly for my AS exams and came out with CEE :frown: , my teachers predicted me a A*CC . I know you may think that that’s really good as I did poorly but it’s not as I need AAA to do the course I want . My teachers are also not over predicting me as I’ve started working SO HARD at Sixth Form recently. I think i can get them to predict me A*BB but that’s probably the highest they will go. The universities i want to go to all require A*AA-AAB . Is it even worth me applying to them ? Would they just reject me straight away ? What can I do? Has anyone else been in my situation where they didn’t meet the entry requirements but still got an offer ?
Original post by Amyyyyxx
I did so poorly for my AS exams and came out with CEE :frown: , my teachers predicted me a A*CC . I know you may think that that’s really good as I did poorly but it’s not as I need AAA to do the course I want . My teachers are also not over predicting me as I’ve started working SO HARD at Sixth Form recently. I think i can get them to predict me A*BB but that’s probably the highest they will go. The universities i want to go to all require A*AA-AAB . Is it even worth me applying to them ? Would they just reject me straight away ? What can I do? Has anyone else been in my situation where they didn’t meet the entry requirements but still got an offer ?

What course are you applying for?
In certain circumstances they can give an offer but will still expect you to get the grades.
In others they will just reject you.

In that case you just need to work as hard as possible and come out with real grades.

You can then try via adjustment to get into a better uni or
Clearing or
Applying the following year with the actual grades.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I’m applying for Law

A*BB are still amazing grades to be predicted! It’s still worth applying to your universities unless they have clearly stated they won’t even consider people who don’t meet the entry requirements. One of my friends was predicted AAA for a levels and her uni asked for AAA to get into history at uni, she ended up getting BBB and bear in mind her offer was conditional, but they still accepted her on results day. Also if you don’t get accepted into the uni, but end up getting higher than expected for your final exams, you can always call up clearing and try to get in that way. But check if the university participates in clearing as some don’t. For example, Oxford doesn’t, neither does Cambridge, Imperial College London, LSE
Useful advice here about predictions and how/where to apply to give yourself the best chances of 5 offers : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Reply 5
Look for an alternative course. If you did that bad in AS (which is piss easy), you won't be able to handle A-Levels and definitely won't be able to achieve AAA.
Original post by in.cendium
cambridge now participates in clearing but the number that are initially rejected but then get better than predicted and then are accepted is small - and depends on the course

That's not clearing, it's adjustment.

Did something go catastrophically wrong for you around exam time for you to go from A*CC predictions to CEE? If not and you just didn't work hard enough leading up to the exams, the teachers would be quite wrong to predict you A*BB because that is too far removed from what you actually achieved in your AS exams.

Since you would ideally like to do a competitive subject at a top uni, I wonder if you have thought about retaking Year 12 from the beginning, possibly changing one or both of the subjects you got Es in? This would give you the opportunity to fill in some of the gaps in your knowledge and to hopefully achieve better AS grades next year. Another option would be to lower your expectations about the sort of unis you want to apply to
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by in.cendium
cambridge now participates in clearing but the number that are initially rejected but then get better than predicted and then are accepted is small - and depends on the course

Why have you bumped an 8 month old thread with information that is wrong (Cambridge are running a scheme around Adjustment this year - they have used clearing in the past)

Quick Reply

Latest