The Student Room Group

Psychology A level

Hi- I am considering taking Psychology at A levels as it pairs well with my other choices being History and Law. I was wondering how demanding the course is itself and whether it is doable to achieve an A/A* considering the fact that i am taking History and Law as well? Also, if anyone does happen to take these subjects, how demanding are they together in terms of time spent revising them each day as well as content to remember?
Reply 1
Hey I do law and psychology and sociology at a level and I'm only in yr12. Law is really hard and has lots of content only choose it if your willing to revise regularly and condense the knowledge . Psychology is a bit boring but seems okay .
I don't do history or law but I'm in my second year of psychology. I absolutely love psychology and I am planning to study it at uni.

There is a lot of content but the majority of it is very easy to understand. It's just a lot of studies (you don't really need to remember dates and can get away without knowing names for some studies) and evaluation points. I find evaluation is the hardest part of psychology because there's a lot of it but it does get easier as you get further through the course because similar points come up all the time e.g. Was the study artificial? Did they test on animals? Were there any ethical issues? Do the finding have an impact on the real world?.

I revise psychology quite often because I love the subject and use it as a way of procrastinating revising for my other A levels. Just make sure you make revision resources as you go along as there wasn't much time to go back over stuff in lessons. Once you finished a topic the teacher never really mentioned it again until mocks were coming up so you need to revise the material throughout the year.

If you stay on top of psychology it is really fun and mostly interesting (research methods is the exception). I'm not sure about the workload for the other subjects but I'm sure you could do it, it will just take some time to sort out a routine. If you have any questions about psychology I will be happy to answer them for you. I hope this answer helps you.
Reply 3
Original post by Chanpanda
I don't do history or law but I'm in my second year of psychology. I absolutely love psychology and I am planning to study it at uni.

There is a lot of content but the majority of it is very easy to understand. It's just a lot of studies (you don't really need to remember dates and can get away without knowing names for some studies) and evaluation points. I find evaluation is the hardest part of psychology because there's a lot of it but it does get easier as you get further through the course because similar points come up all the time e.g. Was the study artificial? Did they test on animals? Were there any ethical issues? Do the finding have an impact on the real world?.

I revise psychology quite often because I love the subject and use it as a way of procrastinating revising for my other A levels. Just make sure you make revision resources as you go along as there wasn't much time to go back over stuff in lessons. Once you finished a topic the teacher never really mentioned it again until mocks were coming up so you need to revise the material throughout the year.

If you stay on top of psychology it is really fun and mostly interesting (research methods is the exception). I'm not sure about the workload for the other subjects but I'm sure you could do it, it will just take some time to sort out a routine. If you have any questions about psychology I will be happy to answer them for you. I hope this answer helps you.

Thank you so much- it's really helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by Nxfisax
Hey I do law and psychology and sociology at a level and I'm only in yr12. Law is really hard and has lots of content only choose it if your willing to revise regularly and condense the knowledge . Psychology is a bit boring but seems okay .

I will be willing to sacrifice to revise for an A- is it the content that's difficult or just how much of it there is?
Reply 5
Theres a lot of content and it's difficult
Hi,
I do history and psychology and enjoy both and find the workload fine but there is a lot you'll need to remember for the exam which is the main challenge in my opinion.
Reply 7
Original post by Chanpanda

How do you revise for the subject?
Original post by XxAb
How do you revise for the subject?

I make flashcards summarising my class notes and do past paper questions and questions from my text book. Essay plans are a good way to revise especially in first year but I can never be bothered to do these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending