The Student Room Group

Mention health issues in personal statement?

I have had health issues that led to years of delay in my education and led to me doing my GCSEs for example, years after they are typically done. I’m wondering if I should mention those health issues in my ucas personal statement or if mentioning those would make me look a potential problem to universities and that would hinder them in making me an offer?
Original post by moon4
I have had health issues that led to years of delay in my education and led to me doing my GCSEs for example, years after they are typically done. I’m wondering if I should mention those health issues in my ucas personal statement or if mentioning those would make me look a potential problem to universities and that would hinder them in making me an offer?

Your referee should mention them in your reference, don't mention it in your personal statement that is to explain why you want to do the course. If you think you'll need some sort of support because of your health issues at uni then you could choose to put in it the disability section but you don't have to :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Your referee should mention them in your reference, don't mention it in your personal statement that is to explain why you want to do the course. If you think you'll need some sort of support because of your health issues at uni then you could choose to put in it the disability section but you don't have to :smile:

Hi, the referee I think I’m going with doesn’t know about these health issues as I’m doing course through distance learning. They can provide a reference but they don’t know about my health issues. What do I do?
Original post by moon4
Hi, the referee I think I’m going with doesn’t know about these health issues as I’m doing course through distance learning. They can provide a reference but they don’t know about my health issues. What do I do?

ask your referee to mention it, you can give them some details to give them an idea what to write.
Maybe you could get a gp to write a letter about your mental health issues and then get your referee to include parts of that in your reference. Alternatively you could simply explain your mental health issues to your referee and let them include. Personal statements are generally supposed to boost you up and include positives rather than highlighting negatives for lack of a better word. References would be a better place for your mental health and gcse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending