The Student Room Group

I'm "too empathetic" and care about everyone AMA

Yep. I'm the type to put others before myself. Not the best thing to do I know, but I can't help it tbh.

Recently been told by someone that " sometimes life's about fighting for yourself".
Wish I could at upon tht...

Kinda worried/stressed so thought I'd make a thread about this stupid empathy that I have that makes me, me :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Yep. I'm the type to put others before myself. Not the best thing to do I know, but I can't help it tbh.

Recently been told by someone that " sometimes life's about fighting for yourself".

Kinda worried/stressed so thought I'd make a thread about this stupid empathy that I have that makes me, me :smile:

I am exactly the same! I’m so empathic that often I forget to stand up to people, and I hate getting into confrontation because that’s not my nature. Recently, because of a person who will not be named, I’ve had to start learning to defend myself and find my voice when others try to use my gentle side against me. It’s so hard to do, but once you see that you can be empathic, gentle, AND have a voice, you’ll be infinitely better.
Reply 2
Haha yes I hope you are right.
It makes me feel bad going against others or not agreeing with them especially when it comes to family. And at the moment I am in a situation where if I don't stand on my own feet and make it clear what I want it may just ruin my whole life and I may not live happily in the future. In such a big dilemma! And it's just upsetting I try not to think about it because it just gets me all worked up. The one person who I shared everything with (a former teacher) I feel like I've crossed the boundaries with her and she hasn't replied to me so I feel like i have no-one to go to now:frown:
What’s your favourite fruit?
Reply 4
Original post by akbar0123
What’s your favourite fruit?

Mangoes!
Reply 5
Original post by urmomsmells
loooool moist

What you mean by moist lol?
What was the last thing you bought?
Hey :smile: Being empathetic is an amazing quality to have so don't get so down on yourself. I agree though that you sometimes need to put yourself before others. Its not being selfish, its just showing self love and self care. If you can't love yourself, then how are you expected to love others.

That's not to say that you shouldn't show people empathy. Continue to do so, but just make sure you show yourself some empathy from time to time too. Your needs are just as important as everyone else's.
Reply 8
It was my friends birthday so got her, a biography that she wanted lol
I am really empathetic and sometimes i even empathesise with the wrong doer (depends) I am not like people who can easily see the culprit.:frown:
It was my friends birthday so got her, a biography that she wanted lol

Nice. Last thing you bought for yourself or last present/gift etc that some0ne gave you?
Erm LMAO this time it's hard, Last time I got myself something was a few days ago got a packet of M&Ms from the shop down the road haha!!
My birthdays soon so I guess thts wen someone will get me something lol, not forgetting secret Santa!:smile:
I understand. I'm very empathetic but I think I have a good balance between looking out for other people and looking out for myself. I can usually make a pretty good judgement over which one should become a priority. Maybe it's an age thing and something I've learned as I've got older idk. Empathy is an incredible trait to have so don't be ashamed, the world would be a better place if people were more empathetic.
Aww thanks I agree. I was told by someone that "sometimes life's about fighting for yourself"

I think that shows how like yourself I need to have a good balance:smile:
Reply 14

Yes. You are a people pleaser. You lack confidence in yourself. Other people are always right and you never are! Until you have compassion for your own life as well you will never be happy. Why would another person's life be worth more than yours? so- understand that you are equally as valuable as any one else and stand up for your own needs as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending