The Student Room Group

I Need URGENT Help to make a Decision!

Okay,

So I have an opportunity to leave my current school (I'm in Year 10) for a better one. My current school doesn't have the best teaching and the general atmosphere isn't the best. It is quite wishy-washy!

So, the new school is a boarding school, but I can't decide whether to leave or not.

When I think of school and learning I feel like yes I should go there is no reason why shouldn't. It is a better school (albeit more expensive) with better teaching and a more structured timetable, so my life would be organised.

But then, at the same time I feel like it is still all GCSEs and is it worth leaving. People have done very well at my current school (but it is always just the odd few).

Spoiler

So, I don't know whether I should go. I want to, but when I think about leaving I start to feel a bit sick. But, when I think about my current school I still feel like this is a pretty bad school and I know that I am capable of more.

Spoiler

So, what should I do? Should I go or stay?? I keep going back and forth and just need to make a final decision that I won't go back on!

Thanks so much for any help/advice!
I would say definitely go, if you like the idea of learning, and will genuinely work hard, then it is worth it. you will be able to do better in the other school. At the same time, if you are not so committed, if you work really hard at your current school you could still do well.
Hmm...visit your boarding school for an open day and see if it has a good atmosphere.
Ultimately you need to decide whether it is worth switching schools in terms of your ability to adjust.
I think it would be good if you think you will be able to get settled quickly and make friends (which I'm sure will be fine!)
If you can afford it and it is definitely better then I would say go for it :smile:
Original post by ObedientBeliever
Hmm...visit your boarding school for an open day and see if it has a good atmosphere.

I'd go in January so there aren't any open days. But I may go see the school on Friday.
Original post by abrainy37
Ultimately you need to decide whether it is worth switching schools in terms of your ability to adjust.
I think it would be good if you think you will be able to get settled quickly and make friends (which I'm sure will be fine!)
If you can afford it and it is definitely better then I would say go for it :smile:

Thanks!

Well, I know academically, I'd be able to adjust, however I just wonder is it worth it. Like do teachers make a huge difference.

Especially considering, I told my parents I wasn't sure if I wanted to go a few days ago. Mainly, because I was scared. And I feel like they'll get annoyed with all this back and forth.

Oh! And I don't even live in England right now so I wouldn't see my family.

As I think about it. I want to go, but now I am not sure how I'll tell them I've changed my mind.

And, I know I want to see the school first, but now that may not be possible.
Original post by 8555
I would say definitely go, if you like the idea of learning, and will genuinely work hard, then it is worth it. you will be able to do better in the other school. At the same time, if you are not so committed, if you work really hard at your current school you could still do well.

I do work really hard, however for me it is all of this last minute stuff. And the fact that I've been going back and forth on this for a while. At my school it isn't that they don't teach. Just that for most of the subjects they just teach knowledge. I don't whether it is me or something. Cos I know last year someone got quite a few 7/8/9s (although they also got 2 Cs).

But I feel like, I should go. But how do I tell my parents after I told them I was scared about going.

Also, what do you mean by committed?
Before you rush in.Take your time asking teachers on Friday about the curriculum of the school and how boarding life is.
Original post by ObedientBeliever
Before you rush in.Take your time asking teachers on Friday about the curriculum of the school and how boarding life is.

Yeah if I go i will. The issue is I don't live in England. So to go i have to get a plane. And after I told my parents I wasn't sure they cancelled the flight. So if I want to go see the school first it'll be rather hard because of the plane tickets.
And, I don't want to go to the school just to say no, u get.

Considering that I'll be going to England either way for Christmas.
Bump
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by _Mia101
Bump

Isn't this the third thread you've made about this? Don't move in the middle of GCSEs.
Original post by Muttley79
Isn't this the third thread you've made about this? Don't move in the middle of GCSEs.

Erm... I don't think so. I made a thread about the best ways to revise not moving.

And then someone told me something and I was confused again.

As far as I remember.

😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending