The Student Room Group

2nd Yr accommodation

I'm a 1st Yr student and a bit overwhelmed that everyone is already signing in on accommodation for the next Yr. I've hardly made a few friends and how do I decide who to stay with for the whole of next Yr? Unable to decide is it should do the halls or go the house share route. If iam looking for house share, how do I look for or come up with the rest of the room mates to fill up the house share? There are so many questions and not much time left to secure a housing for next Yr.
Thanks
Original post by Do_it_now
I'm a 1st Yr student and a bit overwhelmed that everyone is already signing in on accommodation for the next Yr. I've hardly made a few friends and how do I decide who to stay with for the whole of next Yr? Unable to decide is it should do the halls or go the house share route. If iam looking for house share, how do I look for or come up with the rest of the room mates to fill up the house share? There are so many questions and not much time left to secure a housing for next Yr.
Thanks

Hey there @Do_it_now !

To come up with people for a house share you could try join some accommodation groups on Facebook as that's how I've filled the spots for next year. If you just post in those groups your name, year of study and how many people you're looking for then usually someone will find you. You could also comment on other people's posts that interests you. It does also help to post your own interests in your post to make sure people will know if you'll get along.

Having said this, I went back into halls for second year because like yourself I didn't make a strong group of friends until everyone had already got their housing sorted. I don't regret my decision at all as I made some lifelong friends by going back into halls. If you apply privately rather than through the university, you can usually see what the year and gender is of people who have already booked into the flat so if you had a preference on flatmates then you could tailor it that way.

I do also think it is a rumour that you should have your house sorted by Christmas. If you want very first pick then it's a good idea but housing companies do post more listings in January time so you won't miss out. I think people just do it before Christmas purely based on what other people say and to get it out of the way pretty much. Plus there will be people after Christmas that have been looking for a placement year and haven't managed to secure one so need urgent housing sorting in the new year.

Fingers crossed for you, hope you find something!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending