What you revising for?
    Economics, English Combined & Psychology
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=abdelismail31;80950020]Economics, English Combined

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaffee_1998)
    Mm an hour or so on each one I guess it really depends on you and how you revise.
    Excluding H/W right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdelismail31)
    Excluding H/W right?
    What do you mean by H/W?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaffee_1998)
    What do you mean by H/W?
    Homework

ReputationRep:
    Homework
    Ok. Then yes. Best is to focus on the weak points first

ReputationRep:
    How much are you doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gurdeepthelegend)
    How much are you doing
    Not much, maybe an hour on a good day.
    Yourself?
    • Answer Heroes

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    It depends how productive you are in the time.
    I'd suggest 3 hours a day if you're aiming for A*A*A*, but you may need to increase this as you get closer to exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinite Series)
    I'd suggest 3 hours a day if you're aiming for A*A*A*, but you may need to increase this as you get closer to exams.
    wow . i just about do that on a weekend nevermind a school day . Does that include frees?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I may be willing to do that. Do you suggest I make notes on the topics I've just finished, or read ahead?
    • Answer Heroes

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    Okay, I may be willing to do that. Do you suggest I make notes on the topics I've just finished, or read ahead?
    Everyone has different methods of revising that suits them. I've made notes for the sciences but not for maths because I try to not forget any maths content by doing practice papers often. I've only made notes on the 'proof' questions in maths.
    • Answer Heroes

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    (Original post by emilysandres)
    wow . i just about do that on a weekend nevermind a school day . Does that include frees?
    I wouldn't count frees as students aren't usually the most productive during school because there are many distractions- mainly other students.
    If you're aiming for A*A*A*, then it doesn't come easy- if it was easy to put in this time and effort them you'd see most people getting the top grades

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't count frees as students aren't usually the most productive during school because there are many distractions- mainly other students.
    If you're aiming for A*A*A*, then it doesn't come easy- if it was easy to put in this time and effort them you'd see most people getting the top grades
    im actually more productive in school then outside of school as we have silent study area and sometimes supervised study periods . so unproductive at home i need to fix up

ReputationRep:
    it completely depends on how good you are really, all i can say is that when u do tests etc see how much revision would suffice for an a star in that test. some people need to revise for hours on end to get an a star, others have a natural ability, so theres no fixed answer really
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Year 12
    Aiming for 3A - 3A*
    How much should you be doing? Enough to get the grades you want. How much is that? Who knows.

Nobody can put a figure on how many hours you should be doing because it simply doesn't work that way. Here's a few reasons why.

1. You are an individual and everyone is different. An hour of work to you is totally different to an hour of work to someone else.
    2. Revision does not necessarily improve your grades linearly. You won't get twice the benefit from doing 2 hours as you do from 1 hour.
    3. We don't know what level you are working at. If you're getting Ds and Es, you'd need to put in more work than if you were getting Bs and As.
    4. Similar to the above, we know nothing about you. Students with good memory can inevitably spend fewer hours reading notes to remember things for example.
    5. Hours aren't created equally. Different techniques provide different results. 1 hour doing a past paper and 1 hour reading notes will produce totally different results.

That's just a few reasons why it's not possible to put a numerical figure on how many hours you need to put in. It simply doesn't work that way and there isn't some magical number of hours you have to put in before reaching a certain grade.

To get a certain grade, you need to get so many marks. To get those marks, you need to answer questions correctly. Rather than trying to work out how many hours to put in, you need to determine what it is you personally need to do in order to answer those questions correctly. Work out where you are now and where you are trying to get to. Then find techniques that work best for you (because we all learn differently) so that you can move from where you are now to where you need to be.

If for example, you need to be able to record 20 facts, you find techniques that help you remember those facts. If you need to schedule it in, you can decide how many facts to cover each work, how many hours that will take you and so on. Making sure that you cover previous content each week as you add in the new stuff. Only then can you say how many hours you'll need to put in, as you'll know what work you need to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    How much should you be doing? Enough to get the grades you want. How much is that? Who knows.

Nobody can put a figure on how many hours you should be doing because it simply doesn't work that way. Here's a few reasons why.

1. You are an individual and everyone is different. An hour of work to you is totally different to an hour of work to someone else.
    2. Revision does not necessarily improve your grades linearly. You won't get twice the benefit from doing 2 hours as you do from 1 hour.
    3. We don't know what level you are working at. If you're getting Ds and Es, you'd need to put in more work than if you were getting Bs and As.
    4. Similar to the above, we know nothing about you. Students with good memory can inevitably spend fewer hours reading notes to remember things for example.
    5. Hours aren't created equally. Different techniques provide different results. 1 hour doing a past paper and 1 hour reading notes will produce totally different results.

That's just a few reasons why it's not possible to put a numerical figure on how many hours you need to put in. It simply doesn't work that way and there isn't some magical number of hours you have to put in before reaching a certain grade.

To get a certain grade, you need to get so many marks. To get those marks, you need to answer questions correctly. Rather than trying to work out how many hours to put in, you need to determine what it is you personally need to do in order to answer those questions correctly. Work out where you are now and where you are trying to get to. Then find techniques that work best for you (because we all learn differently) so that you can move from where you are now to where you need to be.

If for example, you need to be able to record 20 facts, you find techniques that help you remember those facts. If you need to schedule it in, you can decide how many facts to cover each work, how many hours that will take you and so on. Making sure that you cover previous content each week as you add in the new stuff. Only then can you say how many hours you'll need to put in, as you'll know what work you need to do.

Damn How do you become a "Community Assistant"?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SDM_SDN)
    Damn How do you become a "Community Assistant"?
    By being awesome. Also this thread from 2015 details how to apply

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.