The Student Room Group

Is getting a degree in Journalism worth it?

I'm in Year 13 and I'm in the midst of uni applications and I'm still not entirely sure what subject to apply for. I keep changing unis and subjects almost daily. I do know that I want to work in journalism in the future, preferably magazine journalism or publishing, and I'm almost definitely going to try to do a MA in Magazine Writing in the US after my degree. I did summer work experience at a local teen magazine which I found really fun, and I'd love to work with it in the future. However, a lot of people on here have seemed to encourage me to apply for English literature or Politics instead, as journalism isn't "taken seriously". I'm predicted three A's and could probably apply for most university courses for Journalism, but I'm just wondering whether it's actually worth doing? I'm either thinking about doing that or media and communications.
(edited 5 years ago)
Look please just choose whatever you want, letting people have an effect on your decision, especially on TSR is not good for you at all, yes people say that it's better to take a subject you're interested in at Uni and then proceed to Journalism that way there's more to you than just Journalism, however, you are interested in Journalism so take it, taking Politics or English Lit which aren't on your list just because someone said so is a colossal mistake, follow your gut

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending