The Student Room Group

PCET

I have completed a pcet but want to work in a secondary school....how can I adapt this qualification to schools rather than Fe and He?
Original post by Studio57
I have completed a pcet but want to work in a secondary school....how can I adapt this qualification to schools rather than Fe and He?

To teach in schools you will need QTS.

The government teacher training website explains the different ways to get QTS. With your background then a school based qualification would probably make most sense (unless you want to take a PGCE?). PCETs aren’t recognised at all as counting towards school teaching (although any FE/HE teaching experiences are useful).

@SarcAndSpark might have more thoughts (or can correct my mistakes!)
Original post by Studio57

To work in a state school, you would usually need QTS, as PQ says. Free schools could employ you as an unqualified teacher, as can private schools, but without QTS, you're not protected by the rules on teacher pay and so would probably earn significantly less than a qualified teacher.

There are lots of different routes to QTS. AFAIK, teach first don't currently take art teachers, so you'd be looking at a PGCE or schools direct. You can earn a salary whilst training via a schools direct route if you have the right experience. Alternatively, if you did work as an unqualified teacher, you might eventually be able to get QTS via the assessment only route.

If you've got any further questions about the different training routes, then I'd be happy to answer them!

Thanks for the tag!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending