The Student Room Group

How to learn 60 pages of notes in the 15 days?

Please don’t say flashcards or mindmaps as the information is too much and too complex for those. Also I find they don’t help.

I just want to be able to memorise my 60 odd pages of notes as they are. Anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Easy. You don't. That's not what you're meant to do. That's an inefficient way to revise. Great at making it feel like you're revising though.

This is what you do:
You do whatever practice questions you have available, be they from textbooks, workbooks, revision guides. You use your notes to assist you when you're answering questions, in case there's information you've forgotten. You should try to answer questions without notes, only refer back to them if there's info or a method you've forgotten.

The more questions you do, you will begin to instinctively sort of memorise the notes you've made. But on top of that, you'll have also learnt how to apply the relevant information and how to properly answer the question. And it'll show you what your weak spots are.
Original post by Sinnoh
Easy. You don't. That's not what you're meant to do. That's an inefficient way to revise. Great at making it feel like you're revising though.

This is what you do:
You do whatever practice questions you have available, be they from textbooks, workbooks, revision guides. You use your notes to assist you when you're answering questions, in case there's information you've forgotten. You should try to answer questions without notes, only refer back to them if there's info or a method you've forgotten.

The more questions you do, you will begin to instinctively sort of memorise the notes you've made. But on top of that, you'll have also learnt how to apply the relevant information and how to properly answer the question. And it'll show you what your weak spots are.

But I don’t have any practice questions, workbooks or revision guides. One textbook with no questions in it. That’s why I need to memorise the pages of important notes I typed up.
Reply 3
Original post by lollipop102
But I don’t have any practice questions, workbooks or revision guides. One textbook with no questions in it. That’s why I need to memorise the pages of important notes I typed up.

What subject is this?
Original post by Sinnoh
What subject is this?

Property law. University level. (2nd year)
Reply 5
Property law. University level. (2nd year)

Fuuuuuuck sorry I assumed this was like A-level or GCSE
Original post by Sinnoh
Fuuuuuuck sorry I assumed this was like A-level or GCSE

Haha it’s okay. Any suggestions though?
Don't try and cram too much. Memorise 5 pages a day and you'll have 3 days spare to go over everything again.

The only way I'm able to memorise things is to read it and write it out over and over again until I know it's stuck in my head.

Could you condense your notes/break things up into smaller pieces? It might make things easier.
Why waste time and effort writing up notes if you don’t know how to use them? As a second year surely you’ve found a way to study that suits you by now?

On a slightly more helpful note - 60 pages in 15 days is only 4 pages a day. Surely that’s doable?
Reply 9

Came up with an idea but I'm guessing with 15 days to do it's not going to be that practical. (I don't have much experience with cramming). What if you tried to make your own set of questions just to memorise the info you've written down?

Edit: never mind, that's kind of what flashcards are lool

Aghh well I do alevel bio chem and psy it is nowhere near as hard as urs but I find myself that it’s really effective doing active recall. As in I ask my sisters to quiz on me or I just act like I’m teaching a whole class when it’s only me that helps as well. And just talk to urself. I have an app called AnkiApp yeah I used to do flash cards they are loonnggg and beeping don’t work but these are digital flash cards that then you can test yourself and then rate yourself so if you get low it would keep popping up until you get high and then for example today I set myself a question on comparing mitosis and meiosis so I put them under biology when I did the flash cards and there’s a search bar at top I write both the words and the flascards appear with that word I read them and wrote as much notes as I could on the top of my head
Uhhh I ramble tooo much but good luck
If you are confused with AnkiApp search on YouTube and it helps and there was a guys talking about active recall he himself said flash cards are the worst but AnkiApp tests you so it’s active recall and 80% of the time atleast it stays in your long term memory and you are able to recall it
Original post by Deryabaglan
Aghh well I do alevel bio chem and psy it is nowhere near as hard as urs but I find myself that it’s really effective doing active recall. As in I ask my sisters to quiz on me or I just act like I’m teaching a whole class when it’s only me that helps as well. And just talk to urself. I have an app called AnkiApp yeah I used to do flash cards they are loonnggg and beeping don’t work but these are digital flash cards that then you can test yourself and then rate yourself so if you get low it would keep popping up until you get high and then for example today I set myself a question on comparing mitosis and meiosis so I put them under biology when I did the flash cards and there’s a search bar at top I write both the words and the flascards appear with that word I read them and wrote as much notes as I could on the top of my head
Uhhh I ramble tooo much but good luck
If you are confused with AnkiApp search on YouTube and it helps and there was a guys talking about active recall he himself said flash cards are the worst but AnkiApp tests you so it’s active recall and 80% of the time atleast it stays in your long term memory and you are able to recall it

Thank you, I will try that app

No problem

Maybe it won’t help for what you need to do now as in the app but for the future especially when the exams are near it is the best and you don’t need data it just works

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending