The Student Room Group

Should I drop the EPQ?

I've done the research and planned the essay, now all I need to do is write the essay. However, I don't feel that my essay will get a good grade so I don't see the point in doing it.

I'm scared that the EPQ will effect my A levels, which I'm currently doing poorly at. My exams are in 5 months and doing the epq will just waste a month (the school's deadline is feb).

But I know I'll feel really disappointed for giving up. I was looking forward to the project, but the topic I chose is really complex and I know it will take me a long time to write it up.

Should I write a bit of the essay and see if it's good enough? Or should I drop it and focus on my a levels? Thanks!
If you think it's going to affect your A level grades then I would think about dropping it. Have you applied to university?
Reply 2
Original post by MinaBee
If you think it's going to affect your A level grades then I would think about dropping it. Have you applied to university?

Yep, which means I'm going to email them about me dropping the EPQ. I have gotten a reduced offer but I need an A in the EPQ, which I'm doubting I'll get.
Original post by Aleks<3
Yep, which means I'm going to email them about me dropping the EPQ. I have gotten a reduced offer but I need an A in the EPQ, which I'm doubting I'll get.

I'd really recommend dropping it then. No point wasting time over something that probably isn't going to help you in the long run.
It would be a massive waste if you have already researched and planned thoroughly. If you think about it, it will take less than a week to finish writing. You should know that you will be graded on the process, not just on the essay itself. Even so, your EPQ grade will not be part of your conditional offer.

I'm writing this as I continue to procrastinate writing my own, which I have already lost interest in lmao
Reply 5
Original post by MinaBee
I'd really recommend dropping it then. No point wasting time over something that probably isn't going to help you in the long run.

Thanks for your advice! I think I'll drop it (:
Reply 6
Original post by OxbridgeRejectTT
It would be a massive waste if you have already researched and planned thoroughly. If you think about it, it will take less than a week to finish writing. You should know that you will be graded on the process, not just on the essay itself. Even so, your EPQ grade will not be part of your conditional offer.

I'm writing this as I continue to procrastinate writing my own, which I have already lost interest in lmao

True to be fair. Perhaps I'll try spending a week writing the EPQ and see how it goes. Although I don't think I'll get marked for the log book stuff, because I didn't update it (I don't have EPQ meetings so have no clue what I'm supposed to do for the log book oof).

Goodluck with your EPQ! ^^

Quick Reply

Latest