The Student Room Group

Easy recipe for students

The best and easy tomato sauce to make if you’re a student:
So this is a very simple tomato and “vegetable” sauce

-2 regular sized onion
-4 garlic
-2 shredded carrots
-1 regular sized pepper

Mix all these together in a pan with olive oil or any oil you’ll like until all the veggies has softened. In case you don’t like vegetables don’t worry you won’t taste much of it. It’s great for flavour and full of vitamins too!

-add 1 tomato can or a pasta sauce (pour the whole thing)
-let the tomato simmer till it’s not tart. It it’s still tart add 1 tsp of ketchup or sugar (hack right there lol)
-add your seasoning (you can do it before the tomato simmered or after) add any seasoning you’ll like and as much ( I usually add. 1 tsp Maggi, gram masala, garlic power, pepper and curry powder)

To this sauce you can add green veggies, chicken breast, minced meat (I suggest you cook the meat when you’re cooking ur onion and other veg.)

If you want a thicker sauce, add more carrots lool.

You can eat this with rice and pasta or anything.

This is a massive portion so I’ll stay with you for almost 3 days.

I really hope you try it. Thank you xx
Thank you! This is a very easy recipe. Another tip, onions take much longer than garlic and other vegetables, so its good it simmer those for a bit longer before adding in the other stuff :smile:
P.S. Thanks for the ketchup/sugar hack
Thanks for the recipe :smile:

My favourite student meal is pasta and cheese... :colondollar:
I love making Spag Bol! I use quorn mince which is so easy as you just put it into the sauce for ten minutes and its frozen so keeps for a long time!
Sophia :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lilligant22
Thanks for the recipe :smile:

My favourite student meal is pasta and cheese... :colondollar:

Carbonara is simpler than OP's recipe (though it doesn't look it below because I'm explaining a couple of things). It's a ten-step recipe that takes only a little longer to do from scratch than it takes to cook spaghetti.

Everything is done to taste/by feel, so I'm not giving exact quantities.

Start spaghetti cooking in pan 1. Don't forget to add salt. A bundle with a diameter around the same as a 2p coin is enough for one hungry person.

Break 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk them up. Put them to one side and don't forget about them.

Cut up ham. Carbonara does not include bacon. Also ham is cheaper. Drop ham in pan 2 (ideally a frying pan). Do not turn the pan on.

Grate cheese. Proper carbonara uses pecorino but you can use parmigiano, but again cheddar is cheaper and works just as well. Cheddar with a little parmigiano (or the ready-grated "Italian hard cheese" :wink: ) works great. Add to pan 2.

Add pepper to pan 2. Lots of pepper.

Add a small amount of milk to pan 2 - just a little more than needed to cover the cheese and ham and pepper. Turn on to a low heat and stir slowly until it's all melted.

When the stuff in pan 2 is all melted, take it off the heat and put the spaghetti into pan 2. Keep the water in pan 1 boiling away on the heat.

Turn the heat low on pan 2 again and stir until the spaghetti is covered. Slowly add water from pan 1 as it thickens. You don't need to add all of it, but if needed, do. This helps thicken it and also helps the sauce stick to the pasta.

When you're satisfied that it's almost done, turn the heat up to the top and stir for thirty seconds or so.

Turn the heat off, and while pan 2 is still bubbling add the eggs. Stir FURIOUSLY until it's all worked through.

EAT IT.

Yeah it's a few steps, but it takes ten minutes from start to finish and works better than anything out of a jar. It's slightly adapted (only very slightly) from the original Italian recipe, and is basically my go-to if I'm alone, hungry, and can't be arsed thinking what to eat.

If you're more adventurous, substutite the pepper with chilli flakes and the ham with sliced/diced salami. It's delicious and keeps you warm in winter.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest