The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UEA Guest Lecturer
That's interesting. I am sure you are right about anonymity being an important feature. But isn't a lot of aggressive political date often not anonymous - the way some politicians and journalists and others talk on Twitter can be pretty rough. And newspapers are also blunt and divisive in their reporting - is it possible that what started out spurred on by anonymity has now spread beyond the internet?

Yeah, I totally agree. I sort of phrased my opinion poorly. My experience has taught me that a larger majority of people would often behave the same way online as they would face to face. But when served up the opportunity to have a sense of anonymity, it makes the option for people to package their opinions in whatever way they see fit more available to some without and so people may use that to be aggressive (if not more so) if they often aren't when outraged. I've found that some people who would be aggressive in general would do so more intensely online and less so without it. I guess that could suggest people being more aggressive in some instances, but It's difficult for me to say whether it exists for the majority.

From a personal standpoint, I've been on the brink of being more aggressive with discourse online than I often would away from it in a few scenarios. It's all anecdotal, so maybe the general case is different. I do agree with the points you just mentioned though.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 41
I’m interested in political rhetoric the arguments people make when they try to justify or prove their political claims, and also the style with which they communicate it. Everybody uses rhetoric, whenever they try to justify something to someone who doesn’t already agree. Today a lot of political rhetoric happens online. My question is “Has the internet made political discourse more aggressive?”

One answer would be a definitive ‘Yes’ that online political communication is ‘toxic’, predominantly and unavoidably hateful, all about point-scoring rather than trying to win anyone over, and that that is the inevitable outcome when people can communicate anonymously, without having to know anything about the topic, using platforms designed to generate traffic rather than good debate. Do you agree?

My name is Alan Finlayson and I am Professor of Political and Social Theory at the University of East Anglia. I research the history, theory and practice of political rhetoric. At the moment I am looking at how social media and other online platforms are changing who gets to speak to millions about their politics, the rhetoric they use and how it is changing the ways people think about (and do) politics.

tbh i thought debate was always about wearing the other person down. poking holes in what they're saying until there are so many holes the opinion can't be supported. never did i think debates were about changing opinions or proving oneself right tho. to change an opinion, the person must think they came to their own conclusion and it had nothing to do with you.

re proving your argument and style of, i think some users think the more 'likes' they get the more supported and right they are. but 'likes' only mean those users have the same bias you. doesn't mean your argument is any good.

re aggressiveness, if you mean 'not shy' then heck yeah, of course the internet enforces that. but i wouldn't assume it's 'hateful'. it just sounds hateful because it lacks the luxury of tone and social cues you get in real life. it's also crippling the way we communicate and causes social anxiety but i guess that's another discussion. your research sounds really interesting. thanks for the thread!
Original post by She-Ra
What about making statements to get a reaction? ...

Isn't this essentially trolling? The person might not genuinely have this view however, the attention they'll potentially receive becomes motivation for them making this kind of statement which could then incite more hate and more aggression.

Arguably changing from likes to reactions has made Facebook a more argumentative place as well as an echo chamber for certain political views and standpoints.

I think that's a really good insight - the platforms of social media have built in incentives to post in the form of showing you how much attention you're getting. It becomes a kind of game - perhaps a kind of solitaire - people play. It's as if online political talk isn't really political talk - it's more a kind of marketing of 'the self'.
Original post by boom88
Of course. Social medias are responsible of the growing political tribalism of our society. It seems that on Twitter you can only express your disagreement with insults. The other is the enemy, whatever their argument. Media/politicians/experts lie to us, etc.

Before the internet, people got their news mostly from the radio and TV. They had to listen/watch arguments by people they disagreed with, whilst with Facebook they can completely erase them from their newsfeed. They are therefore only exposed to information consistent with their views, in a massive echo chamber. When they see someone that does not fit in their fantasy world, they thinks he is an enemy scheming some plots against them.

I get what you are saying here - and I think that the stuff about echo chambers is true. But - and I am not quite sure how to resolve this contradiction - I think the opposite is true. On broadcast media the range of views represented was and is always pretty narrow - there are constraints on time and the space for people to be included, and broadcast media has to conform to regulations about langauge use and so on. Online we are exposed to all kinds of out-there viewpoint, often expressed in the bluntest way. Now people can be shocked to discover how many of their fellow citizens are flat-earthers, gender separatists or racial nationalists and be shocked, appalled and angered by it.

I wonder if one of the key things that helps citizens get along is NOT knowing what people *really* think.
Original post by Joleee
tbh i thought debate was always about wearing the other person down. poking holes in what they're saying until there are so many holes the opinion can't be supported. never did i think debates were about changing opinions or proving oneself right tho. to change an opinion, the person must think they came to their own conclusion and it had nothing to do with you.

What made you think debate was like that? I guess it matters what the debate is - the format, the topic and so on. But also, remember that debates often have audiences - when two candidates stage an argumenet they aren't trying to convince each other but the audience.

Can you say a bit more about what you are thinking when you say "to change an opinion, the person must think they came to their own conclusion and it had nothing to do with you" - can't people present others with information that changes minds?
I think that's a really good insight - the platforms of social media have built in incentives to post in the form of showing you how much attention you're getting. It becomes a kind of game - perhaps a kind of solitaire - people play. It's as if online political talk isn't really political talk - it's more a kind of marketing of 'the self'.

It's definitely marketing of the self, or provides people with the opportunity to promote a part of themselves that they want to make visable. It arguably feeds narcissistic behaviours as the chemical hit you're getting from the "likes", "reactions" or comments (in support or not) feeds into the need for continued admiration or attention.

If you stood up in a room and made the same statements it's arguable whether people's responses, either verbally or through body-language would give you the same feeling. If this doesn't feel good why do it. It feels much "safer" to do it behind a screen and get an instant reaction from people you don't know.
I think the internet has made political debate more manipulative, where you can paraphrase and misrepresent someone in a 5 second gif. You can also easily recruit friends to jump on an opinion you disagree with, for example a shop does something you don't like then you get a bunch of people to rate it one star purely on hearsay.

I voted no because it's online, not face to face. You're not going to come to blows in anywhere near the same way that an initially peaceful but passionate protest might do if it encounters a similarly intentioned but oppositely charged counter-protest. The internet has made political debates more frequent - previously you'd have to find someone down the pub to argue with but now you can look for people who want to discuss without needing to leave your bed. Also, any aggression online is recorded, whereas someone shouting at you in the street isn't going to be documented in anywhere near as much detail.

In summary, I think the internet has resulted in more political discourse (and this will include aggression), and records it better for all to see (and to bring up again and again), but I think it's far less aggressive as a whole than a face to face disagreement can become.
Reply 47
What made you think debate was like that? I guess it matters what the debate is - the format, the topic and so on. But also, remember that debates often have audiences - when two candidates stage an argumenet they aren't trying to convince each other but the audience.

Can you say a bit more about what you are thinking when you say "to change an opinion, the person must think they came to their own conclusion and it had nothing to do with you" - can't people present others with information that changes minds?

re your first question, probably my dad. lol i was raised in an argumentative family. we didn't have small talk; we only talked politics and religion. whoever gave up first lost the debate, but no one's opinion was changed in the end, it was just exhausted, or you became exhausted arguing.

i think our emotions and egos get in the way of rational debate and our willingness to change sides - that's why i said a person needs to believe they come to their own conclusions. people don't like being told what to think. i'm guilty too. if you want me to do something, i'll probably do the opposite.

the best persuaders tho are speakers who can find a ration of truth that you both agree on, and build from there. but there must be that one ration otherwise it's a losing battle imho. (what rhetoric am i using, btw, are you analysing me? :smile:)
Original post by AperfectBalance
Look at antifa and their thugs that are commonly just seen as normal protesters

Yeah... no. Antifa is denounced by both sides of the political spectrum. Don't play the victim here.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra
It's definitely marketing of the self, or provides people with the opportunity to promote a part of themselves that they want to make visable. It arguably feeds narcissistic behaviours as the chemical hit you're getting from the "likes", "reactions" or comments (in support or not) feeds into the need for continued admiration or attention.

If you stood up in a room and made the same statements it's arguable whether people's responses, either verbally or through body-language would give you the same feeling. If this doesn't feel good why do it. It feels much "safer" to do it behind a screen and get an instant reaction from people you don't know.

This, I think, hits the nail on the head. Societies have developed ways of organising political debate - not perfect by any means - which try to enable people to speak but also direct them to speaking about particular matters at hand, to audiences with a decision to make and in ways that don't degenerate. But the platforms we are talking about - inlcuding this one perhaps - are designed to appeal to our narcissism, to that 'chemical hit' and our need for approval from others. That's because they aren't platforms primarily intended for poltiical debate - they are machines for harvesting personal data which can then be turned into saleable assets.
Original post by Joleee
re your first question, probably my dad. lol i was raised in an argumentative family. we didn't have small talk; we only talked politics and religion. whoever gave up first lost the debate, but no one's opinion was changed in the end, it was just exhausted, or you became exhausted arguing.

i think our emotions and egos get in the way of rational debate and our willingness to change sides - that's why i said a person needs to believe they come to their own conclusions. people don't like being told what to think. i'm guilty too. if you want me to do something, i'll probably do the opposite.

the best persuaders tho are speakers who can find a ration of truth that you both agree on, and build from there. but there must be that one ration otherwise it's a losing battle imho. (what rhetoric am i using, btw, are you analysing me? :smile:)

I am always analysing.

Anyway - shout-out to your dad. I am sure his arguing with you helped you learn some good lessons - holding your own for one.

I also think that your example of family debates helps us to see a potentially important distinction - there's a difference between arguing *about* politics and arguing *politically*. We can argue about some issue until the cows come home - and that can be fun, good training, a way of testing out argument. But political arguments are tied to decisions - they aren't just for the sake of it. At the end of the debate a law will pass or fall, a tax will go up or down, a country will be bombed or not. There are real stakes. If things are to work at all the people involved have to be thinking about what the others will think - looking for what you call the 'ration of truth' on which they can build suppport and an agremeent. If they don't they will lose.
Original post by ThomH97
I think the internet has made political debate more manipulative, where you can paraphrase and misrepresent someone in a 5 second gif. You can also easily recruit friends to jump on an opinion you disagree with, for example a shop does something you don't like then you get a bunch of people to rate it one star purely on hearsay.

I voted no because it's online, not face to face. You're not going to come to blows in anywhere near the same way that an initially peaceful but passionate protest might do if it encounters a similarly intentioned but oppositely charged counter-protest. The internet has made political debates more frequent - previously you'd have to find someone down the pub to argue with but now you can look for people who want to discuss without needing to leave your bed. Also, any aggression online is recorded, whereas someone shouting at you in the street isn't going to be documented in anywhere near as much detail.

In summary, I think the internet has resulted in more political discourse (and this will include aggression), and records it better for all to see (and to bring up again and again), but I think it's far less aggressive as a whole than a face to face disagreement can become.

Thanks for these interesting thoughts - I've a question. Are the offline and online so disconnected? Is it possible that as people get used to ways of arguing online that this shapes how they argue offline? I guess another way of asking that is, is it coincidence that the take-off of 'web 2.0' just precedes an intense polarisation of politics all over the world, a polarisation that hasn't been so intense since a few years after the establishment of mass radio broadcasting?
Thanks for these interesting thoughts - I've a question. Are the offline and online so disconnected? Is it possible that as people get used to ways of arguing online that this shapes how they argue offline? I guess another way of asking that is, is it coincidence that the take-off of 'web 2.0' just precedes an intense polarisation of politics all over the world, a polarisation that hasn't been so intense since a few years after the establishment of mass radio broadcasting?

Perhaps seeing arguments breaking out into fights on video could normalise the behaviour, but I don't think even the most heated textual discussion would prepare someone for a face to face slanging match.

I think the internet has made it easier to target people with messages that appeal to them on a more emotional level, so in that regard, no, they're not that disconnected and the internet has played a part. But, I would say that (provided the messages were factual) those emotional responses are legitimate. Say someone wasn't aware that animals were often skinned alive for fur, and that provoked a passionate response - that reaction, while potentially violent, is the result of the truth, rather than the internet. You have an individual who would violently protect animals, and the only reason they didn't was an effective coverup by the fashion industry. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but I wouldn't want to be deliberately hiding anything that might provoke people.

I don't know the extent of the internet's contribution to the polarisation that we currently see. I think it has made it easier to polarise opinion, by spreading caricatures or even straight out misrepresentations of 'the enemy', but the driving force I would say is inequality and the difference between (mainly financial) expectation and reality. An employed Republican voter doesn't blame a Mexican for taking their job, and won't care that the rich Democrat is out of touch when they say there's no problem. An employed Brexiteer doesn't blame a Pole for taking their job, and won't see red when rich people say the EU has been brilliant for them. If someone rich who has no idea of your situation is being represented (fairly or unfairly) as not caring about your situation, or worse calling you a racist, you're not only going to not vote for them, you are going to see them as 'the enemy'. However, the failing here is on politicians. There are many platforms on which they can give their own message, that doesn't need to fit in a dismissive ten seconds or snappy headline, and the internet is a brilliant place for that. If the internet has made political debate more aggressive, it has greater potential to do the opposite by sharing human stories from an even larger group of people than the 'traditional' news could ever hope to do.
The internet has allowed the peasants to see how the world is really run which has put them in direct conflict with the establishment and their minions (libtards/remainers etc.)
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
The internet has allowed the peasants to see how the world is really run which has put them in direct conflict with the establishment and their minions (libtards/remainers etc.)

I find this statement very interesting - it's an archetypical form of internet political discourse, very dominant online and, as you say also politically ascendant.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
This is true, but... what if the person managing the discourse is aggressive? Another example might be historical witch-hunts. Was that a 'managed' discourse...? Was that less aggressive than online communication these...? What were the conversations like between every day people around that topic? Do we know?

I'm just wondering if we're comparing modern online communication to a golden age of 'respectable' discourse that never actually existed, if you see what I mean.

That's right - there was no golden age; but the ways people discuss and debate their politics do change. In the 1945 General Election some 45% of people listened to a candidate's entire speech, either at a meeting or on the radio (which used to broadcast political speeches of 30 minutes or so in length). That doesn't happen now - TV changed things greatly. And now internet platforms are changing it again - and perhaps also changing what people think they are doing when they debate politics.
Well, it’s time to wrap up this discussion. It’s been interesting for me at least and I have learned a lot. For me three things come out of the debate.

Firstly, whenever a question is asked about whether or not something is ‘more’ (or less) than it was in the past it immediately makes us think about what things were like in the past. There are then two temptations both to be avoided. One is the ‘everything is changed utterly’ response. The other is the ‘nothing every changes’ response. Certainly politics has always had an aggressive aspect and as Pinkisk pointed out that may not be a bad thing. But the forms that takes and the forms taken by political argument in general do change. We know that, for example, in the 1945 General Election around 45% of people listened to the whole of a political speech either in person, at a hustings, or on the radio (which at that time broadcast speeches in their entirety). And we know that a lot of people took their role as judges of such speeches very seriously. Television changed all that and changed the way people and politicians encountered each other. That is changing again now, and just as it did then it is having effects on the whole of our political culture.

Secondly, of great interest to me were the kinds of comment exemplified by “DrMikeHuntHertz” (yes, I see what you did there) who wrote: “The internet has allowed the peasants to see how the world is really run which has put them in direct conflict with the establishment and their minions (libtards/remainers etc.). “Chaotic Butterfly” said “It gave me unlimited access to communist idealogy is what it did to me” and “ItSmith” said “politics on TSR: ORANGE MAN BAD!!! IMPEACH ORANGE MAN!!!!”

These are excellent examples of a form of discourse which I think is new not in its entirety but nevertheless new. It’s not only that internet forums enable people to say things publicly yet anonymously that in the past they would not have said or would have said only in private with likeminded others although that is very important. It’s that these are interventions shaped by a political slang born on one part of the internet the one that invented terms such as ‘libtard’. One of the thing the internet does is give a few focused groups of small numbers of politically dedicated people incredible leverage and in so doing to reshape the political vocabulary of a generation, as evidenced here. These comments also express a certain kind of internet ideology of exclusion. By that I mean a political philosophy premised on the idea that the person speaking is part of a group that is ‘not allowed’ to say what they want to say because they are peasants oppressed by ‘the establishment’, because the internet or particular forums such as TSR is full of the ideas of the opposing political faction. Statements of this kind of victimhood are an increasingly dominant part of political discourse online and offline but spread by online. And they often take the form of these kinds of polemical and mocking statements. They are about heckling the discussions of others rather than participating in them they are done for the ‘lulz’ and for the approval of an audience elsewhere. What’s particularly interesting is how this mode of engagement has, in the last 3-4 years spread from online forums to newspapers, and how it has come to shape ‘official’ political debate offline which is frozen in a lot of countries because it is dominated by everyone performing their opposition to everyone else, for their own gain.

Thirdly, we touched on it only briefly and I was surprised there wasn’t more said about it. One or two of you pointed out how particular forums like Reddit can be particularly aggressive in their tone. That’s about platform design the coding which creates the rules and the format of our online communication. We like to think that our ‘speech’ is or should be really free and unrestrained online but then we neglect how, before we even start engaging, the platform design has already directed our speech down certain generic lines. Some academics describe it as ‘the discourse architecture’. The thing is, this architecture ‘governs’ our online communication and induces behaviours just as powerfully as the design of the House of Commons affects politicians. Books and pamphlets create forms of communication and forms of consumption that are very different from those created by Reddit and Facebook. We are moving slowly but inexorably to a point where most people will engage in most of their learning and discussing of public affairs via platforms which are really private, commercial and heavily managed spaces, designed to elicit certain kinds of behaviour. That’s something everyone should be aware of before we forget how it was before, convinced that everything is always the same and all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

And yes, this was a long-form response, not really in the style of online discussion. It's here to illustrate my point.

Thanks to everyone for participating and to TSR for hosting.

Best wishes,

Alan F.

Latest

Trending

Trending