The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS or LSE?

Hi!

I am currently at the verge of making a far-reaching personal decision and really would need some advice concerning this issue.

I applied for the MSc International Politics at SOAS as well as for the MSc International Relations at LSE. Within my master course I want to further deepen my knowledge of the Middle East and sub-Saharan Africa and the forthcoming challenges for both regions, as these two regions are really a passion of mine.

Now I hold an offer from both, but I am completely uncertain, for which one I should go. LSE for the reputation? SOAS for its lateral thinking? Both seem to me as leading institutions in their field, but apparently with an opposite self-conception. I am neither a slippery career guy, nor some radical communist, really avoiding these extrems, hence I would describe myself as a curious, unorthodox mind, with a great antipathy for all kind of bigoted ideologies.

To get a sense about me: I am an adventureous soul, who travels a lot (e.g. Iran, China, Palestinian territories, Trans-Siberian Railway, Eastern Europe ...) and is very obsessed about culture and history (collecting old books and exotic vinyl records and stuff like that). Crucial for my choose is, where I will get to know interesting fellows, as I am definetely not that sort of pencil pusher, though I have good grades and take my studies seriously. Therefore I really like to meet people who have seen the world outside of the campus.

My heart says SOAS, because I like their somekind alternative, but still professional attitude. Nevertheless studying at one of the absolutely world-leading institutions like LSE within my field seems also very attracting to me (however I wouldn't do it for the money or something like that). Though some stories of LSE alumnis about the huge workload and the culture there deter me a little bit. Some people really seem to get broken by the pressure there. One for example told me, that he really lost his pleasure to study and was not that happy with his decision, which is a horrible vision for me - because I wholeheartly love my subject (as my friend did).

Maybe some former or current students can give me a more appropriate insight on these two universities. How are the facilities and the teaching there? Is there that big difference? How are the people? What was your overall impression? In which environment do you think, will I be able to fully pursue my passions?

Being the first one out of my family, who reached an academic degree, I see this as a once-in-a-lifetime chance, but at the moment I feel a little bit lost. Therefore I really appreciate all your estimations.
Get your degree at LSE, hang out at SOAS. When it comes down to it, a degree from LSE is more marketable - as crude as it sounds, that’s what really matters.

I went to Kings but had a personality that fit in much more at SOAS. That’s the beauty of going to the university of London - your social and learning experience doesn’t have to be restricted to one college.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
SOAS. If that's where your interest is and the people you want to mix with.
Original post by yarax
Hi!

I am currently at the verge of making a far-reaching personal decision and really would need some advice concerning this issue.

I applied for the MSc International Politics at SOAS as well as for the MSc International Relations at LSE. Within my master course I want to further deepen my knowledge of the Middle East and sub-Saharan Africa and the forthcoming challenges for both regions, as these two regions are really a passion of mine.

Now I hold an offer from both, but I am completely uncertain, for which one I should go. LSE for the reputation? SOAS for its lateral thinking? Both seem to me as leading institutions in their field, but apparently with an opposite self-conception. I am neither a slippery career guy, nor some radical communist, really avoiding these extrems, hence I would describe myself as a curious, unorthodox mind, with a great antipathy for all kind of bigoted ideologies.

To get a sense about me: I am an adventureous soul, who travels a lot (e.g. Iran, China, Palestinian territories, Trans-Siberian Railway, Eastern Europe ...) and is very obsessed about culture and history (collecting old books and exotic vinyl records and stuff like that). Crucial for my choose is, where I will get to know interesting fellows, as I am definetely not that sort of pencil pusher, though I have good grades and take my studies seriously. Therefore I really like to meet people who have seen the world outside of the campus.

My heart says SOAS, because I like their somekind alternative, but still professional attitude. Nevertheless studying at one of the absolutely world-leading institutions like LSE within my field seems also very attracting to me (however I wouldn't do it for the money or something like that). Though some stories of LSE alumnis about the huge workload and the culture there deter me a little bit. Some people really seem to get broken by the pressure there. One for example told me, that he really lost his pleasure to study and was not that happy with his decision, which is a horrible vision for me - because I wholeheartly love my subject (as my friend did).

Maybe some former or current students can give me a more appropriate insight on these two universities. How are the facilities and the teaching there? Is there that big difference? How are the people? What was your overall impression? In which environment do you think, will I be able to fully pursue my passions?

Being the first one out of my family, who reached an academic degree, I see this as a once-in-a-lifetime chance, but at the moment I feel a little bit lost. Therefore I really appreciate all your estimations.

LSE’s workload isn’t that heavy compared to other unis for your kind of subject. The issue is that applying for jobs is itself a difficult task, and lots of people get burnt out balancing that and their workload. Again, less of an issue for your subject and if you can resist the pressure you have nothing to worry about.

However, there aren’t many people with a burning interest in the subject and discussing it over lunch. Clubs and societies are also bit naff, unless it’s sports/career/ national or ethnic. As an LSE student I’d advise you to go with SOAS if enjoying uni tops the job search for you. While the LSE has a lot of smart people, you may not find the intellectual immersion that you desire.
Two caveats:

- I don’t study IR but took a few modules in history as an outside option so my view probably doesn’t carry that much weight. I hang out with the IR undergrads so that’s where my view comes from.
- Postgraduates may be very different. In general you get more attention from professors and more interactive activities. Also students tend to be older, so it may be different from my experience.

There’s no harm in calling the school and asking to speak to one of their current students. You’ll probably get someone who’s had a great experience (due to selection bias) but they can definitely answer some basic questions.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending