The Student Room Group

RAF pilot

So I’m 16 and currently in year 12 doing A levels in History, politics and geography (not exactly flying related) I am also doing my PPL which I expect to complete shortly after I turn 17. I’m pretty good at mental maths and I can easily remember stings of letters and numbers. I’m also capible of passing the fitness requirements (haven’t done the multistage fitness test recently but last time I tried I got to stage 10). I’m not currently in any sports teams but I swim, run and play squash regularly alongside going to the gym. I’d probably apply for Pilot first and if I’m unsuccessful I’ll try again for WSOp. If I’m successful I don’t really mind what I fly but I’d prefer to stick with fixed wing.

My question is whether I should join right after finishing A levels, go to uni or my third choice was to wait a year until I’m 19 and in that time work for a nearby aircraft repair company while building hours on my PPL license. Also what are my chances if I join straight out of sixth form?

Many thanks for any help!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AlexM12093
Also what are my chances if I join straight out of sixth form?

Slim, but not impossible.

What experience do you have of leading a team, of being in a position of responsibility over others?

While it is possible to join at 18/19, it's unlikely, given what they look for and the balance of people they want. Your best bet is to go to uni - join the UAS - and then apply afterwards. That way, if you don't get in, you've got a plan B.

Just as an FYI, the PPL won't really help you. Military flying is done differently, and while it will be useful to show your keenness for flying, the RAF don't use it as a tool to say "X candidate is better than y candidate" because of the resources needed to complete it and how they're not available for everyone.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the current rumours going around suggest there's about to be a drastic cut to the number of pilots being recruited. So waiting a few years might be advantageous.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
What experience do you have of leading a team, of being in a position of responsibility over others?

Thanks for your reply - Over the summer months Ive worked at the flying school I go to and on some days I’ve been responsible for managing ops. I’m also the captain of my squash clubs junior squad. I also do a bit of debating at my school if that shows anything in particular

Quick Reply

Latest