The Student Room Group

Contemplating dropping out of Graphic Design degree?

I'm a first year student studying Graphic Design, unsure whether to drop out or keep pressing on and transfer for second year onwards.

Last year I enrolled at a uni in London to study a different (creative related) degree but postponed my studies within a month for personal reasons. In the meantime I was having fun drawing/illustrating and doing random posters and bits so I figured I'd reapply for a graphic design degree as I saw it as more useful than what I'd be studying in London. I chose a city outside of London as I'd heard good things but since I've been here I've had the worst time. I hate the city (though it's hardly big enough to count as one), I've not made any friends, I'm far from my friends at home (just under 4 hours), and the course isn't even worth it as I've not learnt anything and we spend our time doing abstract fine art. I thought it might be better if i transfer to UAL in London but I'm not sure if that'd be the right move as I've figured I'm not as creative as I thought, just good with tech; no point pursuing something where I can't see myself as a confident or successful graphic designer at the end of all this hassle. I only got a 2:2 for my first assessment even though I did as much as I could (especially seeing as the tutors haven't taught us a thing) and I don't want to go to uni to graduate with a 2:2.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice from other graphic design students/graduates or people who do graphic design without having done a degree in it. How did you find your course/lack of degree help your career?
Original post by lawetlatla
I'm a first year student studying Graphic Design, unsure whether to drop out or keep pressing on and transfer for second year onwards.

Last year I enrolled at a uni in London to study a different (creative related) degree but postponed my studies within a month for personal reasons. In the meantime I was having fun drawing/illustrating and doing random posters and bits so I figured I'd reapply for a graphic design degree as I saw it as more useful than what I'd be studying in London. I chose a city outside of London as I'd heard good things but since I've been here I've had the worst time. I hate the city (though it's hardly big enough to count as one), I've not made any friends, I'm far from my friends at home (just under 4 hours), and the course isn't even worth it as I've not learnt anything and we spend our time doing abstract fine art. I thought it might be better if i transfer to UAL in London but I'm not sure if that'd be the right move as I've figured I'm not as creative as I thought, just good with tech; no point pursuing something where I can't see myself as a confident or successful graphic designer at the end of all this hassle. I only got a 2:2 for my first assessment even though I did as much as I could (especially seeing as the tutors haven't taught us a thing) and I don't want to go to uni to graduate with a 2:2.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice from other graphic design students/graduates or people who do graphic design without having done a degree in it. How did you find your course/lack of degree help your career?

Moved to Art and Design

Quick Reply

Latest