The Student Room Group

I can’t decide what to do- suggestions?

I have dropped out of uni. I still don’t know what degree I would like to do instead.

I like Art- drawing, films, music.

I have a levels in history, English language and art. BBB grades.

I can’t play any instruments but really love music.

Any suggestions for a degree would be great. Thanks
Original post by EVMD17
I have dropped out of uni. I still don’t know what degree I would like to do instead.

Hi @EVMD17,

There's a wide variety of courses you can look at based on your interests. I've listed a few below, you may be interested in.

-Illustration
-Music & Sound Design
-Animation
-Digital Film Production
-Digital Televison Production
-Editing & Post Production
-Digital Photography
-Digital Content Creation

Although you're not 100% sure what degree you'd like to do, it's great that you already have some ideas around what you enjoy. Most/some creative universities like Ravensbourne look the individual rather than just your grades and what subjects they studied. Of course there are standard entry requirements but if you have a strong portfolio of work that showcases your interests, skills and thinking that can also help alot!

Have you by any chance had a look at any foundation courses? They are also great to help you explore more options and give you a good foundation before you fully commit to a degree course, especially if you're still not sure.

Best,
Almasi, Ravensbourne University London Alumna
@EVMD17

Why did you drop out of uni? What did you not like about the course?
Did you like the university/ university life?
Are you interested in a degree that involves a lot of writing or would you prefer to study a subject which is more practical?
Have you thought about doing an apprenticeship?

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by EVMD17

Hey @EVMD17 :smile:

You could definitely explore art-related degrees given your interest in art and creative pursuits, so courses like Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Film Studies, Animation, Creative Media. You could look into degrees that combine technology with art and creativity so things like Digital Media, Web Design, Interactive Art. It's great to hear you love music, and whilst you don't play an instrument, you could still consider a Music Studies programme. And lastly there's Art History that you could look into because of your A-Levels :smile:

There's a lot to consider there but if you book onto some upcoming uni open days hopefully these will help your narrow down your choices. Speak to academics, current students and check out the facilities, get a good feel for the course and what you can expect as a student. You could also reach out to career advisors who can help!

Have you had any thought to volunteering or interning in fields related to art, film, music etc? Just to gain some experience in the areas but to get a good insight into potential career paths.

I hope this helped a little, I wish you all the best in making your decision, I'm sure you'll make the right one for you! Good luck :smile:

Becky
Original post by EVMD17

Try the following tool for suggestions:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Take the quiz on the following website and read through some career options that might interest you:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

Attend some open days and listen to a range of subject talks.
Original post by EVMD17

Hi @EVMD17,
Sorry your having trouble deciding what to do. It sounds like you have a creative and artistic passion and want to do something.
Going to Uni and studying does take time and commitment and having passion for a subject makes studying a degree a more enjoyable experience. Take the time to explore different opportunities and research what different uni and further education providers offer and indeed if there is any work or apprenticeships available. Sometimes taking a step back and doing some work experience can confirm what you would and indeed wouldn't want to do.

Have a look at uni prospectus' - many are online - and look at the entry requirements and the course structures/contents. Some universities offer BA programs which are quite flexible in 1st and even 2nd/3rd year and this may allow you to study more broadly to help figure out the perfect degree for you,
Remember that uni is not for everyone and that there is many different pathways and opportunities out there.
Wish you all the best and hope you find something you are passionate doing and enjoy.
Catherine - Strathclyde University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending