The Student Room Group

Which is better?

Im currently in my final semester in foundation and i don't know which degree course is better. Im don't know whether to choose a degree in International Business or Quantity Surveying. Both degree suit me but i look in terms of the demand in the future and the salary .
Original post by Timshen
Im currently in my final semester in foundation and i don't know which degree course is better. Im don't know whether to choose a degree in International Business or Quantity Surveying. Both degree suit me but i look in terms of the demand in the future and the salary .

Go and ask careers and look at job adverts. My insticnt is that international business is non descript, but quantity surveying is an actual profession, so if I wasnt favouring one or the other I would expect that would have steadier and more promising employment rewards.
Reply 2
Agree with 999tigger, quantity surveying will create a path into quantity surveying. International business does not have a direct professional linked but may help with a job such as a Business Analyst. As a QS, I'd say pick QS :smile:
Reply 3
Thx 999tigger and Albkeh for the information.
Reply 4
Original post by Albkeh
Agree with 999tigger, quantity surveying will create a path into quantity surveying. International business does not have a direct professional linked but may help with a job such as a Business Analyst. As a QS, I'd say pick QS :smile:

May I know how's your career going? And does the salary pay well? And can i become a project manager with qs degree?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
It is going well thanks, I've been doing it for 6 years. Salary is OK - I would expect an entry level quantity surveyor to start on no less than £26-30k. I work in infrastructure (rail, bridges, roads) but there are so many different surveying avenues to choose from. Yes, you certainly can become a project manager with QS degree but a construction management degree would suit better. I would expect the route from a construction management degree to be: trainee site manager > assistant site manager > site manager > project manager.
Reply 6
Original post by Albkeh
It is going well thanks, I've been doing it for 6 years. Salary is OK - I would expect an entry level quantity surveyor to start on no less than £26-30k. I work in infrastructure (rail, bridges, roads) but there are so many different surveying avenues to choose from. Yes, you certainly can become a project manager with QS degree but a construction management degree would suit better. I would expect the route from a construction management degree to be: trainee site manager > assistant site manager > site manager > project manager.

Thanks for the information

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending